Bigtime problem with Outlook Express

Demora 10:21 13 Jun 2008

Hi.

For the last few days I have had nothing but trouble with OE6. Everytime I close it down after checking emails 'it' asks me to compact to save disk space etc. This message I got fed up with so clicked yes.

The programme started to do its stuff and then I got an error messsage. 'OE has whatever. I can't remember what the exact wording was.

Anyway I checked that OE was working later and found that some of my saved email folders were empty.

I then did a search for the *.dbx folders and it came up with the location. But the ones OE had emptied are also empty.

What I'd like to do is a: get some of the emails back and b: to get oe to stop asking me to compact the emails to save space.

I did a system restore to Monday (before this started happening) but that didn't work. Also did a scan of the system files with the Winxp disk in. (SP2)

I daren't let the programme 'compact' again for fear of losing anything else.

Any help greatly apprieciated. Please.

TIA D

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:31 13 Jun 2008

click here

look for *.dbt files

To recover emails DBXtract/Macallan:
click here

click here

Clapton is God 10:41 13 Jun 2008

Under normal circumstances allowing OE to compact is a problem-free and, indeed, a recommended practise.

Whenever you delete e-mails in OE they are, in fact, not deleted and can still be accessed through the .dbx folder/Deleted Items route.

Only when OE compacts are those deleted files actually removed from the PC/.dbx folder.

OE usually 'asks' to compact when the program has been launched every 100 times or so.

Demora 11:21 13 Jun 2008

Yes.... But is not just removing the 'deleted' folder files. It took everything in my important folder and one or two others. I had the important folder backed up on the external drive anyway but it was useful having it in OE for checking the odd forgotten PW etc.

Until I've sorted this out I'm going to use Thunderbird.

Thanks for the links Fruit Bat and the Info Clapton is God.

Going to try later in the day.

D

dogbreath1 11:24 13 Jun 2008

Try repairing OE.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?