Big vista problem

505diff 10:46 02 Mar 2008

The other day i noticed to my AVG was off, windows defender was off and spyboot would not start because 'not a valid win32 app' non of these have been turned off by me. Now i've tried uninstalling/reinsatlling AVG which then will not start because it's not a valid win32 app. Defender scans but then freezes i've tried to download Virgn anti virus which will work but not clear things up. Windows live one care will download, but not start. I've now downloaded superAntispyware which starts then freezes.

I've booted up on my old hard drive (xp) then scaned the Vista hard drive with AVG and cleared a few things but I'm told after trying to restart i've got 'Bagle' virus. also my system restore points have gone meaning i can only roll back a few days which is not far enough any ideas folks? spent the best part of 10 hours on it this weekend!!

Blitzer 10:50 02 Mar 2008

try here...

click here

Hope this helps. :)

505diff 11:14 02 Mar 2008

after download it won't run because i've not got admin rights which is odd as i'm the only user of the pc and only have one prfile on start up

sunny staines 11:50 02 Mar 2008

if i had a difficult virus to clean up i would format and reinstall windows to be sure it had fully gone and peace of mind.

Fingees 13:22 02 Mar 2008

If you right click on installation icon.
Select run as administrator

505diff 17:19 02 Mar 2008

thanks for the help so far but i still can run that scan is it won't open up the libary. How do you go about reinstalling windows as it was preloaded with xp without any disks then i got the vista upgrade disk in the post?

wrg 09:01 03 Mar 2008

Not sure whether restoring from your partition backup will help. Did you create a rescue disk when you got the PC as this should have winxp on it. If not then you should be able to order the xp s/w from whoever is the manufacturer of your computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?