BIG Problems after removing virus

six-h 16:31 27 Feb 2008

For over 3 weeks now, I've been trying to get my PC back to health with the help of first the Malware Removal forum, and then on their recommendation, a-Squared forum.
Although a-Squared recons I'm clean, civil war broke out when I changed from Windows Firewall to first, Sunbelt, then, Outpost, and finally Online Armor.
Sunbelt helpdesk couldn't sort it, and recons there's something wrong, 'cos I couldn't prepare a System Report, it froze at the "Finalisation" stage, even in safe mode and had to be terminated with Task Mgr.
installing Outpost immediately gave me the BSOD when I re-booted after installation, and ever since, I've had these total freeze ups in IE7 and Firefox that can only be stopped by a hard shutdown.
After much delving and many many yards of logs, a-Squared feel that it must be a hardware problem.
Probably RAM.
I want to continue with them, but since the Guy helping me is in New York, I won't hear from him 'till around midnight at the earliest, and wondered if there is some way to check the condition of my RAM, without downloading any software?

Technotiger 16:37 27 Feb 2008

You could remove the RAM sticks then make sure slots inside case are free of dust, carefully wipe contacts of sticks and re-fit. See if that makes any difference. I did have problems once, which I cured in this way.

Terry Brown 16:44 27 Feb 2008

Download a progam called MEM31a or MEM32.zip.
You create a boot diskand start the machine from that.
MEM31a is for a floppy disk, MEM32.zip id for a CD.
Either one will check out your memory for faults, leave to run for at least 5 hours for a through test.
Terry

six-h 16:58 27 Feb 2008

Thanks guys, I've never been inside the box, only watched whilst the engineer performed surgery a couple of times, whilst under warranty with Medion, but I recon I'd need a stiff Whisky to steady my hand before I tried!!

Terry, your programme noted, but at the moment, I don't want to subject my poor PC to any more stress than necessary, so I'll hold that one in reserve!

Had a look at the Crucial UK site, and that wants to install an active X prog, so I think I'll just wait for a-Squared first, and update you later.

woody2122 18:10 27 Feb 2008

whats wrong with downloading an active x proggrame on a pc

six-h 18:25 27 Feb 2008

Not much, if it's trusted, but I don't want to change anything at present that may invalidate all the reports and other information that "a-Squared" have sucked off my machine!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone