Big Problem with Networking!!! Please, Please Help

*Gary* 18:55 25 Sep 2003

Yesterday I installed both a wireless PCI card for my desktop pc and also a wireless PCMCIA card for my laptop so that I could network the two pcs (which by the way are both using 802.11g cards and windows xp). The problem is that the network only seems to work when it wants to.

Even though I have configured my Norton Firewall so that nothing should be stopping the two pcs connecting (also tried with the firewall disabled) AND checked the IPs so that one is 192.168.1.1 and the other 192.168.1.2,
most of the time I just cannot get the network to work properly.
Sometimes if I run the ?Set up home network wizard? it works for a couple of minutes afterwards (sometimes doesn?t make any difference) and then without changing any settings the icon/computer of the other networked pc will either disappear or be inaccessible from the ?view workgroups/computers? folder or when I click on a file on the other networked pc there will be a slight pause and then ?the network path was not found? message comes up on the screen.
I would be extremely grateful if anybody knows why this is happening or has any ideas as to what I could try to do to stop this as it is really annoying and this problem sometimes used to happen even when I was using a LAN cable a few months ago.
Thanks!

Kitz E Kat 19:31 25 Sep 2003

When the network it 'down' can you ping from one to another?

Just in case!!!!
Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt,
At the prompt type ping 192.168.1.2 from your 192.168.1.1 BOX and visa versa...

Also can you ping LOCALHOST on both box's?

A tricky one!
Good luck
Kitz E kat

*Gary* 20:02 25 Sep 2003

I just tried pinging the other pcs and also the localhost but all that came up was
'Request Timed Out'
???

*Gary* 20:29 25 Sep 2003

By the way sorry for the question marks in the question text, they should be apostrophes.

spikeychris 20:37 25 Sep 2003

You sure the local host timed out?

acrobat270 20:45 25 Sep 2003

Have had the same problem setting up my network. Have solved it but through mixture knowledge and lucky accidents. Will try to help!

After every change to either computer I rebooted as this often made a difference.

Are both computers part of a workgroup with the same name? start, control panel, performance and maintenance, system, computer name, change - select workgroup and check/enter name (the one you set during network wizard).

Do both computers have a computer name.

If you go start, my network places, view network connections, double click on your network connection, properties - what does it say under 'this connection uses the following'?

acrobat270 20:51 25 Sep 2003

Sorry, should have said Do both computers have a different name.

Does typing ipconfig at command prompt bring up your correct info on each computer (info for each of the four things displayed - connection specific... ip address... subnet mask... default gateway?

Sorry lots of questions!! Trying to check some things.

*Gary* 21:38 25 Sep 2003

No chris you are right, i did it wrong before. After pinging the local host i got the following results:

LAPTOP (should be 192.168.1.1)
Pinging Laptop [127.0.0.1]with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms ttl=128

Ping stats for 127.0.0.1
Packets: sent= 4 Received= 4, lost= 0 (0% lost)

DESKTOP (should be 192.168.1.2)
Pinging Desktop[::1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from ::1: time<1ms

Ping statistics for ::1:
Packets: sent= 4 Received= 4, lost= 0 (0% lost)

After pinging the LOCALHOST i also decided to ping the other pcs again. The first time i pinged 192.168.1.1 (laptop)from the desktop pc, two of the 32bytes of data were actually sent and two were were not.
Reply from 192.168.1.1 bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
Request timed out
Request timed out
Reply from 192.168.1.1 bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: sent=4, received=2, lost=2 (50% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum=1ms, maximum=192ms, average=96ms

However doing it a again a couple of seconds later none of the packets were sent and instead of two packets being sent all of them gave a 'Request Timed Out' message.
When i tried to ping the desktop (192.168.1.2)from the laptop the results were the same as before and none of the packets were sent.

Does anybody know what all this means?

Kitz E Kat 22:24 25 Sep 2003

What it means is , the ping local host is OK , so the card is working OK...

The ping xxx.xxx.x.x is 'dodgy' but you know that!!!

Did you try acrobat's ipconfig ?

If this problem only happened when you set up the wireless then OK but it happened with the cable also, that's the confusing bit...

To be sure, as mentioned above both computers have a unique name? both computers have the same 'workgroup' name ?

Both computers have the same subnet mask ?
Neither computer has DHCP enabled, ie not automatic ip address enabled, but assinged one..

Kitz E Kat

*Gary* 22:43 25 Sep 2003

Sorry about that acrobat270 i had to go offline for a while.
Both pcs are part of the same workgroup and both pcs have a different name.

DESKTOP DETAILS
connection-specific: Blank
ip address: 192.168.1.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: blank

this connection uses the following:
clients for microsoft networks
file and printer sharing for microsoft networks
QoS Paket scheduler
Microsoft TCP/IP version 6
Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)

LAPTOP DETAILS
connection-specific: Blank
ip address: 192.168.1.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: blank

this connection uses the following:
clients for microsoft networks
file and printer sharing for microsoft networks
QoS Paket scheduler
Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)

*Gary* 22:55 25 Sep 2003

Hi Kitz E Kat, both pcs have a unique name, are of the same workgroup, have the same subnet mask and also assigned ips addresses!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?