Bi-directional printer cable ?

greybeard 09:52 09 Jun 2009

I'm having difficulty in establishing bi-directional comms between my qms 330 laser printer and my Compaq desktop win98se pc.
The printer setup window, that appears in any aplication that I try to print from, says "bi-directional communications not available", but the printer does support this.
The cable has a 36 pin centronics plug on the printer end with the usual 25 pin plug on the pc end.
How do I identify that this is a bi-directional cable, before looking for another solution to the problem ?
MTIA
John

FreeCell 10:02 09 Jun 2009

Have you checked the settings for the PCs parallel port in the BIOS? Should be set as EPP + ECP for bi-directional.

Cable itself should not make any difference unless there is damage to pins preventing it operating as bi-directional. If you have another cable you could use it to confirm whether it's a damaged cable issue.

greybeard 10:19 09 Jun 2009

..seems like I may have resolved the issue by updating the driver while waiting for any replies !!
I now have been able to get the pc to recognise the printers ability to print onto A3 paper, this being the original problem.
Thanks anyway for your input.
John

FreeCell 10:52 09 Jun 2009

greybeard

Well done.

Perhaps you can "tick" as resolved if things are working as you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?