BFG 8800GT problem

Thurrafork 22:58 12 Mar 2008

Hello there
Just upgraded to a 8800gt from a 7800gtx. I've updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for my Abit kn8 Ultra mobo, and I have a 600 watt psu. But when I go to install the card drivers - whether from the supplied disc or from the bfg/nvidia website - I get a 'could not find drivers for your hardware setup. Setup will now close' message. So my 8800gt remains seemingly unrecognised. I have checked the card is seated properly, and I have installed the card bios update from the BFG website. What could be the problem?

Totally-braindead 23:03 12 Mar 2008

I assume that the card works ok and you get a display. The Nvidia drivers are the same for both cards I think so have you tried running some sort of game to see what happens?
Is the secondary power connector connected?

woodchip 23:12 12 Mar 2008

Was it the Hardware Wizard that could not find the drivers? Or was it when you run Setup from the CD?

You also need to remove old addapter from Device Manger first

Thurrafork 23:12 12 Mar 2008

Thanks for the fast reply Totally-
I am getting a display, but I guess its just some default display settling nothing to do with my gfx card.
Going to disply settings my adapter is just listed as a generic vga - it's not recognised as an Nvidia 8800 GT. The res is lower, the refresh rate i 1hz. And when I try to install the drivers, it says that it 'cant find drivers for my hardware'- even if I use the installation disc that came with my hardware - as if it cant identify that my setup is a 8800gt. Annoying! Can you think of any reason why its not being detected?

Thurrafork 23:14 12 Mar 2008

Woodchip -
I removed the old drivers. I've tried installing both with the hardware wizard, and straight from the installation disc. No joy!

woodchip 23:14 12 Mar 2008

It will be using the old drivers

woodchip 23:18 12 Mar 2008

Try Copy CD to Desktop, Start in Safe mode then run Setup file from the Desktop copy when windows is using Generic driver. To Copy CD right click the drive with CD in and drag to desktop

Thurrafork 23:38 12 Mar 2008

Woodchip -
I followed your suggestion, still no luck - same problem 'no compatible driver could be found for your hardware'. My 8800gt is just not detected so the drivers cant be applied.
Any more ideas?

Totally-braindead 23:53 12 Mar 2008

Is the additional power connector definatly connected?

Thurrafork 00:04 13 Mar 2008

yep, power connected firmly.

keef66 12:31 13 Mar 2008

You definitely got the latest chipset drivers for the mobo?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?