Beyond Repair??

User-6D9C7ECD-6DDA-4B14-9C396D58713D0EC1 19:32 30 Aug 2004

Evening,

I have just spent a frustrating two hours at a friends house. They bought a nice Dell machine a year ago and have been using it online with no anti virus or firewall since!!

To say it is full of viruses and spyware would be the understatement of the year. I have tried my best using several progs (Ad Aware et al and AVG) but its still behaving very peculiarly. Won't burn CD's, still has some malware on their hijacking favourites etc.

Would i be best to start from scratch, use the dell recovery disks and wipe the slate clean??

Its a Dimension 8200 by the way running XP Home.

Cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:44 30 Aug 2004

'Would i be best to start from scratch, use the dell recovery disks and wipe the slate clean??'....yes, there is no point in trying anything else.

G

jack 19:45 30 Aug 2004

Clean sheet definitlely called for the easiest way out.

VoG II 19:55 30 Aug 2004

Agree - and I very rarely recommend this course of action.

Well, looks like i am going to be spending another several hour session round there then!!

Cheers for the advice guys, i want to patch it to SP2 plus all other updates once i have reinstalled it. They only have a dial up connection and i used auto update for my SP2, can i download a standalone update package that i can burn to CD and take to their house?

woodchip 22:06 30 Aug 2004

No if you run the Recovery CD it should put all back in no time at all. Other than any programs etc that they installed after they got the comp. You may have to load Printer Drivers etc

Totally-braindead 23:05 30 Aug 2004

If you have Broadband and they don't you could take their PC home with you, reinstall windows and put your Broadband temporarily on their PC and then download all the updates. Failing that you can get an update for SP1 and SP2 from Microsoft for them, regarding SP2 PC Advisor will have it on their cover disk next month anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?