Beware this Windows update.

cofi 17:41 18 Jul 2006

I came across Windows update KB889673-86-ENU on some internet sight or other, don`t remember which one but it seemed O.K. at the time.It may even have been an official Microsoft sight.I did the very foolish thing of downloading it without reading what it was for.It turned out to be for problems re.Bootup+bootdown,Restart,hibernate,etc.I did not have any of these problems,at least not till I had downloaded this up-date.I then did have the very problems that this update was meant to solve. Thank goodness that the download also created a system restore point for Me.The message must be read every thing before installing any update and remember your system restor.I will be wiser next time.

Stuartli 17:53 18 Jul 2006

There is no Microsoft Knowledge Base link for KB889673(-86-ENU).

SANTOS7 18:07 18 Jul 2006

click here
this is it...

Jackcoms 18:08 18 Jul 2006

"I came across Windows update KB889673-86-ENU on some internet sight (sic) or other"

There is only ONE place for Windows updates - and that is the Windows Update site.

There is no two ways about it.

Stuartli 18:16 18 Jul 2006

>>There is (sic) no two ways about it.>>...:-))

Not quite true - they can be downloaded manually if preferred from the Microsoft website (pick only what is required):

click here

SANTOS7

Well done! MS's own search engine couldn't bring it up...:-)

cofi 18:40 18 Jul 2006

Thank you Stuarti, I thought I had seen things. As for Jackcoms,it seems that in this case there is two ways about it.I have learned my lesson I hope others do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?