Beware of 'fake' Bank Scam

Seth Haniel 16:08 22 Nov 2007

In light of the recent breach of personal and financial details by HM Revenue & Customs, scamming emails have increased rapidly over the last 48 hours. Emails are being sent out to people allegedly from banks asking you to verify your details. If you receive an email from a bank asking you to click on a link and verify your password/security details it is a scam. These emails are very clever, look genuine and are designed to look exactly like your bank’s web pages.

Often the emails threaten that unless you follow the link provided your account may have to be closed – this is designed to panic you into giving the details.

Please do not click on the link. Your bank will never contact you for these details via email.

Sea Urchin 16:48 22 Nov 2007

Thanks for the always timely warning. Only yesterday I received a message (very badly designed I have to say) supposedly from Nationwide, with whom I do NOT have an account. It said that they had recently upgraded their security, and consequently needed my account details etc etc etc by clicking on the link. Needless to say I didn't do so. But when I checked the genuine Nationwide site it said at the top of the Home page - "we have recently upgraded our security" showing just how convincing these Phishing messages might be to some people.

john bunyan 17:35 22 Nov 2007

I received two, one purporting to come from Natwet, one from Abbey. Both looked convincing. I forwarded the Natwest one to their phishing site for info.but did not click the link. I added them to the huge list of spammers/ blocked senders that I have. I thought OE7 had anti phishing filters?

Meshuga 18:30 22 Nov 2007

I

Meshuga 18:34 22 Nov 2007

Please ignore my last post, pressed the wrong button. It should have read that I have just had two spam emails, one from Nationwide and one from TSB. Both binned.

Taff™ 19:16 22 Nov 2007

One from TSB today as well! Don`t even have an account with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?