Beware AVG9

Technotiger 17:34 23 Oct 2009

A friend asked my opinion of the new AVG9 (she has the paid-for version 8.5), she is an experienced novice, so is wary of so-called 'Updates' to tried and tested software.

I have always used AVG Free and am currently using AVG 8.5 Free!

In order to be able to answer my friend, I installed AVG9 Free, expecting it to probably be a doddle and that I would continue its use - what a mistake that turned out to be!

The download and install was fine, up to the point where, during the install I was Strongly Recommended to uninstall my Sunbelt Firewall, warning of dire consequences if I ignored that request. As I am very happy with Sunbelt Firewall and have the paid-for version, I did not uninstall it, just opted to skip that part of the install of AVG9.

I completed the install of AVG9, then the fun started - three Fatal Error messages/crtashes, six or seven re-starts (I lost count) and a System Restore to get rid of AVG9 and get my computer working normally again, taking at least a full hour, and much hair-loss.

If you intend trying AVG9, make sure you have an up-to-date System Restore point to fall back on!

Hence this Warning !!! Beware AVG9, especially if, like me you are using your 'own' Firewall.

Technotiger 17:36 23 Oct 2009

PS - I should have added - I am using XP Home (SP3), and so is my friend.

peter99co 17:57 23 Oct 2009

I have removed AVG 8.5 (free) and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and it found during a full scan two files that Norton had detected and removed two years earlier.

The files had been put in the Norton Vault. Norton had been removed using thr Norton removal tool. (and left the files behind?)

AVG scans had not found them. Is Microsoft that good to be so thorough?

Technotiger 18:06 23 Oct 2009

They might have got something right, only time will tell. I am happy with AVG 8.5 anyway, but will be keeping an eye on MSE too.

Thanks for your input.

The Kestrel 18:52 23 Oct 2009

Technotiger

I had the same problem as you installing AVG 9 Free with Zonealarm, although I cancelled the installation. Several days ago I opened a thread on the AVG forum and this has been taken up by their technical staff.click here I'm still awaiting a solution, so like you still using the 8.5 version.

Technotiger 19:03 23 Oct 2009

Hi, looked at your link - thanks for the info, so at least I am not alone in this!

My own thoughts are, that the problem arises because AVG is also trying to get us to use 'its' Firewall, as opposed to any other.

cocteau48 19:11 23 Oct 2009

Yet another new update to AVG is out today click here
now build 698.

Maybe they have addressed the ZA issue with this one.
This is the third version of AVG 9 which I have installed and have yet to see the ZA warning which other have been getting and I have no conflicts with my ZA Pro.
Perhaps it is related to the ZA Free version only.

Alas they have not yet addressed this issue click here which I raised with them.

cocteau48 19:13 23 Oct 2009

Yet another new update to AVG is out today click here
now build 698.

Maybe they have addressed the ZA issue with this one.
This is the third version of AVG 9 which I have installed and have yet to see the ZA warning which other have been getting and I have no conflicts with my ZA Pro.
Perhaps it is related to the ZA Free version only.

Alas they have not yet addressed this issue click here which I raised with them.

Technotiger 19:16 23 Oct 2009

Hi, thanks for your input. I think I will give AVG9 a miss for a while, at least until it has been tried&tested a bit more.

It is/was not just ZA having problems, I don't use ZA - preferring instead Sunbelt Pers Firewall.

cocteau48 19:39 23 Oct 2009

Hi Technotiger

One large slice of humble pie here please.

That double posting was due to a complete freeze up of Firefox - the second in the previous half hour - and that was the half hour subsequent to installing the latest AVG 9.

Nuff said ..... I have now gone back to 8.5 till they get things sorted.

Technotiger 19:44 23 Oct 2009

Nuff said - indeed :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?