Beware "Antivirus 2009"

manrow 08:48 14 Aug 2008

Yesterday a pop-up offered to scan my computer for viruses which I should have ignored as I am perfectly happy with AVG Free!

The main reason I was fooled is that this virus scam has a logo very similar to the OLD AVG Free one and once you have started the download you cannot stop it, or delete it. It was only when the real 2008 AVG Free automatically warned it had found a trojan that I realised I had a major problem.

I immediately ran AVG last night which found the trojan, but this morning another virus showed up during the daily scan connected with the problem yesterday.

So beware "Antivirus 2009"

micky d 09:34 14 Aug 2008

Have you managed to rid yourself of it Manrow?

I have recently just managed to get rid of Antivirus 2008.

I'm not really tech-savvy so after reading previous subjects on the matter(but none the wiser) i decided to do a factory reset as system restore wouldn't work.

My system is now running like a dream(well, compared to how it was before the reset).

Anyway,thanks for the warning............will stay well clear!

Marko797 12:53 14 Aug 2008

I had this and a whole load of viral issues recently. I had avg 8 free, but it still got through. Many programmes were affected, including IE, and updating of anti-v/anti-malware.

I ended up ditching avg and went with avast. To-date my machine is clean. Hope this helps.

mfletch 13:35 14 Aug 2008

Hi

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Will remove the 2009 virus

click here

Halmer 13:54 14 Aug 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?