Beware of Advanced System Care

RegScriv 12:26 03 Jan 2014

Warning; if you download IObit's Advanced System Care you are very likely to download with it the Yahoo Re-direct Rootkit virus. There is no indication and it's downloaded whether you download from CNet or IObit. The virus takes over all your browsers and redirects them to Yahoo. All the browser resetting in the world will not get your browsers away from Yahoo. It's very difficult to eradicate. None of the anti-virus products work. Norton Internet Security missed it and Malwarebytes, Hitman, Stinger & Spybot didn't get rid of it. If you have a System Restore prior to downloading, that might work. It did once for me. The only other way I eradicated it was to use disc imaging software and to re-install an earlier image of the disc. For me, I shall never go anywhere near ASC ever again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:18 03 Jan 2014

Adwcleaner should remove it

Cnet has become a risky site to download from as most of the software on offer come with alsorts of rubbished packaged in

spuds 14:33 03 Jan 2014

I have a previous version of ASC on the computer, and was informed of a newer version download. Clicking on the update for the free version, I was directed from the Iobit site to CNET. At that point I didn't go any further, having had previous problems with CNET downloads.Far to risky!.

RegScriv 14:38 03 Jan 2014

I have all my start-up programmes disabled in msconfig and don't really use any add-ons. I run CCleaner nearly every time I run the pc. I got Malwarebytes to do a full scan and ticked all the boxes to get rid of everything it found. It actually only found a few pups. Interesting point about Revo. Don't know much about this one and hadn't thought about running NIS in safe mode. Would that make a difference?

At present I'm clear of the virus and won't be going anywhere near ASC again. I do wonder what the point is of the virus in forcing all browsers to Yahoo. Not a good advert for Yahoo is it.

RegScriv 14:42 03 Jan 2014

Thanks for the tip on Adwcleaner Fruit Bat. I've added the site to my Chrome Bookmarks for future use should I need it.

nickf 17:53 03 Jan 2014

I have used advanced system care on two PC's and have the latest versions , I have not had any problems , with getting a yahoo nasty .

RegScriv 21:45 03 Jan 2014

Which site did you download it from nickf, presumably not the IObit or CNet sites.

rdave13 00:28 04 Jan 2014

Years ago I got my fingers burnt with such programs/software. The only concession, for that type of software, for me, is Ccleaner. You really should learn how to use your operating system and your browsers to the best of your abilities and then you would realise how bad these types of software actually are, let alone downloading crud, as appears to be the case today.

This virus, rootkit, might be a good thing if it stops people either running freebie rubbish, or paid for rubbish, that slows your PC a tad, and are no benefit whatsoever to you.

Find out where your temp folder is so you might put a desktop shortcut so you can open and delete what's not required, instantly. Find out how to go to administrator tools for various things including disk clean-up etc. In your browsers find out how to delete history on closing if that is what you want. Find out how to save or not your cookies/ passwords. etc. You have all the tools there for free.

Just my humble opinion.

:)

michaelw 08:43 04 Jan 2014

I've used ASC for years with no problems. However when directed to the Ibit site to download the latest version I had to read the install instructions carefully. The choices seemed to be greyed out (clever) to custom install or let it install itself. I chose custom and all the Yahoo crap revealed itself to be installed, so I unticked all the boxes and it installed crapware free.

You just have to read the install instructions carefully. Never go anywhere near Cnet or Softpedia as they have become overrun by asses.

RegScriv 09:56 04 Jan 2014

That's pretty sharp michaelw. I completely missed the custom install. It's quite hard sorting through the chaff on these freebie sites. Having said that I've been so badly bitten I'm not going anywhere near ASC again.

I sympathise with your view rdave13 and do actually do all the things you suggest. I'm a bit of a cleanup freak and ASC really seemed to help. I use CCleaner and also use Malwarebytes and System Ninja regularly. For disc scan & Windows update etc I'll be using the longhand method from now on.

alanrwood 10:17 04 Jan 2014

I run ASC on several machines and never had these problems. It is now quite common that programs try and get you to install various add ons and that includes "respectable" programs too. It is a shame that people don't look for these tricks of the trade as they are invariably present and then blame the software. The software writers include these because it is often the only way they generate income so let's not get too hot under the collar about it and take responsibility for looking at the install options carefully instead of just accepting the defaults.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?