Better still - windows picture and fax viewer(*%$*

portofcall 02:31 23 Aug 2003

Whew, trying to find a way to eliminate windows picture and fax viewer is nigh impossible! I somehow have this program installed and now cannot find a way to uninstall. I used to be able to save in jpeg. Now I can save one photo in jpeg but if I rename file and save....I'm back to windows picture & fax viewer. Microsoft must have the key answer to this unwanted program...or maybe not! What a pain!

jazzypop 06:06 23 Aug 2003

Which version of Windows are you using?

Which program would you rather view jpegs with?

Why do you say "I used to be able to save in jpeg"? Are you unable to save as a jpeg now?

portofcall 10:28 23 Aug 2003

Jazzypop, always the details! Ok, I'm runing XP pro. Jpegs were saved and opened through XP viewers. I saved pictures as jpeg (per norm). Now, (using aol as IP going to preferences with never compress thus allowing me to save in jpeg format instead of bitmap), I can save a picture as a jpeg but if I save another pictures with the same name it saves it automatically in windows picture and fax viewer. I then have to open this file, then filter it through picture and fax viewer to open then save as a jpeg which I didn't have to do prior to picture and fax viewer program. The whole process has changed and is much more time consuming.

I have found a site that instructs how to remove picture and fax viewer but nothing has worked so far (annoyance.org).

jazzypop 11:56 23 Aug 2003

Thanks for the details :)

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about AOL and it's preferences - the best I can do is bump you up the list and wait for an AOL expert to pick this up, unfortunately.

portofcall 12:29 23 Aug 2003

Its amazing on this site how quickly one gets a responce to a question (usually in panic mode). I just wanted say thanks. I don't think the problem is with aol per se. Microsoft has updates and I believe I updated and received this unwanted program. I have logged Microsoft's web page and it highlights pictures and fax viewer but no answer if you don't want it or how to eliminate the program. Hmmmm. The click here site has a few solutions to the problem. I've tried them all including tweakui but so far no results.

DieSse 12:40 23 Aug 2003

"I can save a picture as a jpeg but if I save another pictures with the same name it saves it automatically in windows picture and fax viewer"

A couple of common misunderstandings, here, which if cleared up may help.

First - you can't save two fles with the same name, unless you save them into different folders

Second - you don't save a file "into" a specific program - you save it into a specific place (folder).

When you save the second file you are talking about - give it a different name, OR give it a full name with .jpg after it.

The bit of a filename after the dot governs which program opens which type of file - not where you saved it

I don't quite understand this either --- "using aol as IP going to preferences with never compress thus allowing me to save in jpeg format instead of bitmap"

jpeg IS a compressed format - so saving with "never compress" strikes me that it will save in a bitmap format.

Also I read another thread here recently about a similar problem due to some changes in AOL 8 - could be affecting things also.

DieSse 12:43 23 Aug 2003

Another point I should have made clearer.

Because the extension name (bit after the dot) - govers which program opens a file if you double click the file - then all files with .jpg will open in the same program - that's how Windows works, no other way.

So .. If you have pictures opening in different programs - then they are not all .jpg files.

What program would you like your jpg files to open with?

DieSse 12:45 23 Aug 2003

The picture and fax viewer is a standard part of WinXP - it's always been there, so you didn't load it as part of an update.

portofcall 14:16 23 Aug 2003

Looks like you've given me loads of work to do. If picture and fax viewer is standard with XP I should be able to add/remove shouldn't I? Also, if you download a picture off internet and save a photo that is jpeg format in "my pictures" for ex. You should have saved this picture in jpeg with no need to do anything more. I can save this picture as a jpeg now. But, if I rename the photo and save it, it opens only with pics & fax viewer then saved as a jpeg. This is the main problem ( I think).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?