better guru required than me - file download prob

dunc1234 17:57 19 Jun 2009

hi, i'm quite experienced at fixing all sorts of pc issues but this one has beaten me, i know that just wiping the pc and reinstalling is the easiest "fix" but i hate to be beaten, please read carefully the problem before replying on what i've already tried.

Any attachments received can't be opened, its not the security settings in windows mail as i have already removed them. the email can be forwarded on and opened by someone else so its not corrupt. further to that any file downloaded from the internet through firefox or internet explorer does not appear. it goes through the downloading phase and at the end when its finished, no file!!. in internet explorer there is an option to save or run the file, neither works, and in firefox, after the file appears to have finished downloading there is no listing in the downloads manager window. it seems like the file is deleted on download or "bounced" off the hard drive. i have also tried saving the file directly to removable storage disk and that blanked as well. its a dell pc running vista. if anybody can shed some light on this problem i'll be exceptionally grateful and impressed.
dunc

phono 17:59 19 Jun 2009

What Antivirus and/or anti malware software are you running? Does your antivirus software actively scan email?

OTT_Buzzard 18:06 19 Jun 2009

What firewall / virus protection are you using?
Try disabling it...

Les28 18:09 19 Jun 2009

Do you only have the one account on the pc, try creating a second user account if so with full admin rights ans see how that account behaves.

OTT_Buzzard 18:10 19 Jun 2009

Sry Phono - cross posting!!

Just having a look through a few results from google on this;

it's also worth going into msconfig, disabling all startup items, reboot and test a download.
If it works then one by one re-enable your start-up items and retest.

dunc1234 18:26 19 Jun 2009

thanks guys, familiar with the techniques but never thought to use them for this type of problem, i've used the new user technique to fix many an msn user logon problem and msconfig for viruses spyware issues, which although non were showing there i'm sure it could be software related, will try a combination of the two and post back the result, doubtful its a virus problem but will keep an open mind but pc running normally in all other ways.

not got access to the pc for a couple of days so may be a while before next response

thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?