Beta?

podlod 09:37 26 Aug 2008

Hi, I have been asked if I want to download Firefox 3, but I have heard some bad reports about crashing etc? also a stupid question to ask being; as I only use Firefox as a browser I do not even know if I have Beta? how do I find this out? any help please.

rawprawn 09:42 26 Aug 2008

Click on Help then click About. It will tell you which version

Technotiger 09:44 26 Aug 2008

Left-click on Help in Firefox and then on About to see what version yours is.

I am using Version 2.0.0.16 and as it does all I want it to do, I am not bothering with V3.

rawprawn 09:50 26 Aug 2008

Hi Technotiger, left click on Help doesn't work in V 3

Mr Mistoffelees 09:53 26 Aug 2008

A "beta" version is a pre-release version of software made available to the public to help iron out bugs before that software is ready for full release to the public.

Unless you are comfortable with testing, potentially buggy, software, steer clear of beta versions and only use the most recent full release version. The current version of Firefox is 3.0.1.

Technotiger 09:58 26 Aug 2008

Hi, I know - podlod is obviously using V2 at the moment, same as myself.

rawprawn 10:04 26 Aug 2008

I really will have to learn how to read! this level of illiteracy could damage my career. ;)

DieSse 14:58 26 Aug 2008

Firefox 3 is not beta - it's a full release.

Current version is actually 3.0.1

Version 3 is significantly faster than version 2.

I've been using it since first release and don't have crashes (though any and all software will crash from time to time - often depending on what else you've got running!).

"Hi Technotiger, left click on Help doesn't work in V 3"

Well mine does!

Technotiger 15:06 26 Aug 2008

I would get Version3 but the update window tells me that my Google toolbar is not compatible with V3 - so I will wait until it is.

DieSse 16:03 26 Aug 2008

I've got the Google toolbar installed on V3 - from a few weeks ago. I think you'll just have to reget the latest version of the toolbar.

DieSse 16:04 26 Aug 2008

Prolly the message means that the version of the toolbar you've got now is incompatible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?