best wireless connection

madferrit 11:13 20 Jul 2005

hi i am buying a laptop to replace my very old desktop it will have intel centrino wireless and i have wanadoo 1mb broadband what do i buy to connect useing wireless and how do i do it is it a simple task (ie do i just plug it in )and will i be using the same modem
cheers

woodchip 11:19 20 Jul 2005

What kind of Modem do You have? you need a Wireless modem or a Router that will connect to the modem. Plus check to see if there is a Etherenet connection on the Laptop as it is a lot easier to setup Wireless with it and May be the Only way to get the Router to see it until you get it up and running

madferrit 12:08 20 Jul 2005

yes it does have ethernet and i have a thompson speedtouch frog will that be a problem

woodchip 12:35 20 Jul 2005

The frog is a USB modem I don't think you can get a Router that connects to USB as that's what I replaced with this after going BBclick here

woodchip 12:43 20 Jul 2005

PS I connect two Desktops with a strait through Ethernet cable's and run my Laptop with the Free Laptop Card I got with it. If you have Wi-fi and Ethernet on the Laptop you will have to disable Ethernet in Device Manager after you have used it to setup the laptop, or it will look at that, in staid of the Wi-fi connection

PS I can roam about 300ft out side from router

madferrit 12:47 20 Jul 2005

nice one the laptop i'm buying has intel centrino is this the same as 802.11g and how easy is it to set up

woodchip 12:50 20 Jul 2005

Yes it should be, though they have brought out 802.11n that lets you get further from router

madferrit 12:51 20 Jul 2005

300ft that's fantastic can't wait to sit in the garden

madferrit 12:52 20 Jul 2005

will i get destructions on how to set it up or will there be a setup wizard

madferrit 13:20 20 Jul 2005

just had a look at the specs again and it has ethernet ieee 802.11b/802.11g intel pro wireless 2200bg will that be ok, am i right in thinking it has both

Strawballs 13:40 20 Jul 2005

Just remember to set up encryption on your router and laptop or any body else within range with wireless will be able to use your connection

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?