best wifi kit

peg 20:14 07 Dec 2007

Hi all
geting a new laptop for xmas and whant to go wi fi with my desktop pc, need to get either pci card or usb adaptor + a router any ideas on a good package to buy ? reading other threads usb sounds like the better option.
got orange speedtouch cable modem at present
cheers

Kemistri 21:39 07 Dec 2007

Do you need to swap the desktop's connection for a wireless link? If it's not quantifiably advantageous to you, don't. Use Ethernet for the desktop instead.

P.S. I'm sure that Orange is an ADSL supplier, so that won't be a cable modem - critical difference.

peg 21:48 07 Dec 2007

sorry its a speedtouch 330 ADSL modem can i just get a wifi kit (router+adapter) as my desktop pc is not wifi enabled

Kemistri 23:17 07 Dec 2007

Routers cannot work with ADSL modems IF they have a USB interface, which I believe yours does. If you had an Ethernet modem - almost exclusively the preserve of cable users (not ADSL) - then you would be instructed to by a router.

You need a modem/router - note the critical difference. Don't fall into the simple trap of buying the wrong format of router, in which a lot of forum posters apparently get caught.

Kemistri 23:17 07 Dec 2007

"By"? I mean "buy", of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?