Best web page programming languages to learn?

geeq_chiq 20:33 27 Apr 2007

Hey, I just started working in a...I don't know how we're defined. Basically the company I work for offers networking and computer repairs and your general host of other stuff.

ANYWAY, I've worked there one day and have sort of been instated as Web Design Girl. Problem is, my boss won't let me use WYSIWYG editors (yes, eww), and while I am quite confident with HTML, that's about it. I've dabbled in PHP/MySQL a bit, but that was practice and mostly came out of a book.

He's got me doing small editing jobs on current sites at the moment but soon he'll be getting me to start from scratch, and I need a little bit more practice and confidence.

I'd also like to impress my boyfriend, without his help, who has been programming (if just for the fun of it) since he was nine... ;D

So are there any other languages you can recommend me? I'm going to go borrow half my library's programming section then. I don't know if it will help, but here's the web services section from our website (on which I corrected all the spelling/grammar...): click here

I've just realised I've made myself sound a lot less intelligent than I really am =/

djbenny 12:50 01 May 2007

for a basic website html and javascript would probably be ok

what features does there need to be then i could recommend a language that is best?

gibbs1984 13:17 01 May 2007

CSS is really easy to learn and would be a definate in my book to learn.

Sebastian Ereira 13:28 01 May 2007

html

djbenny 17:22 01 May 2007

css you cannot program a whole page, but its useful to learn along with php

Nellie2 15:43 03 May 2007

If you are going to be starting from scratch then you need to know about accessiblity, usability and standards as well as languages. W3Schools has some great tutorials. To start off with you should find out about xhtml and Css and then take it from there. click here

brundle 00:29 04 May 2007

You say you have some experience of HTML so you may not need this, but as a beginner I am finding this book very useful as a guide to good practice click here

adamcoppard.com 12:00 06 May 2007

XHTML 1.0, CSS 2.1/3, PHP 5, MySQL and DOM (JavaScript that is valid and degrades).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?