Best way to use a XP partition

Halmer 12:20 30 Sep 2008

Never really thought about this in the past. I have my PC for two and half years. It has a C drive, the one that I use for everything including programs, data stuff, photos etc.

The C drive is still less than 10% full as I tend to move stuff off onto disc periodically, particularly space hogging things like photos.

There is also a separate D drive in My Computer with 149GB free with nothing on it at all. It is the same physical size as the C drive.

Should I be using this D drive in a better way? I assume that this is referred to as a 'partition'?It came pre-installed on the Compaq PC.

DieSse 12:59 30 Sep 2008

Is it a different physical drive, or just a second partition on the one drive?

Halmer 20:34 30 Sep 2008

I assume that it's one drive two partitions.

bremner 20:38 30 Sep 2008

Important data, such as your photos should ALWAYS be retained in at least two places.

If you only have it on disc then perhaps you could use some of the space on your D volume as first storage and the discs as second.

DieSse 22:27 30 Sep 2008

You could put your data on the second partition. You can reassign My Documents - right-click - properties - move and follow the wizard.

You could put a complete image of the C partition there, as a recovery file. Free imaging from Macrium Reflect - paid from Acronis True Image. Though a secure backup really should be to external media for safety.

Halmer 22:29 03 Oct 2008

all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?