best way to report phishing?

wildrover 09:59 02 Jan 2010

Hi. I get a lot of what I presume are phishing emails. They all go straight to my junk folder and I have never clicked on a link. They all appear to be from businesses but link to somewhere different. Examples are these 2 from Wink Bingo (I have never played bingo): [email protected]
click here
[email protected]
click here
The "xxxxxxx" bit is a series of numbers and letters which are always the same and I presume would confirm my email address if I ever clicked one. Other businesses they purport to come from include Cash 4 gold, TTR 4 Honda, National Accident Helpline, and many more. All have the same 'format' business email address and link but always to a different address. They all come to a hotmail address but reporting them as phishing to hotmail doesn't appear to have any obervable affect. I know I could just delete these but is there a good way of reporting them? If so who to? and how? Thanks

Technotiger 10:16 02 Jan 2010

I am afraid to say that there is absolutely no point in trying to pursue the phishing line, no pun intended. This just part of the Internet, IMHO there is not much, if anything, that can be done about it, except to be wary as you appear to already know, and never to open such junkmail. We all get them just about daily, the Delete button is your best defence!

If anybody did have a definitive answer to the problem, that person would become a billionaire over-night!

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:49 02 Jan 2010

Forget them, ensure your AV is up to date, use some antispy programme such as Spyware Terminator and don't allow any 'free registry/malware scans' to run. There is absolutely no point in reporting them as the addresses change almost daily.

G

User-312386 11:55 02 Jan 2010

As above really, just ignore them.

wildrover 11:49 03 Jan 2010

I know you are right. But it does go against my personal philosophy to think that and I am just going to shrug my shoulders and let someone continue to try to rob me. Wouldn't do it in the 'real' world and I'm not really sure why I should in the online world. Suppose its just how it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?