Best way of making external hard drive wireless

themarches 15:57 18 Nov 2009

Hi,

I'm in a dilemma. I need more storage (1tb preferably), but want this storage to be wireless - so that I can access my photos, music, etc, from my pc and my laptop in the house and also so that I can save to the storage.

What's the most cost efficient way to do this? I already have a cable modem and wireless router provided by virginmedia.

I'm considering buying the 1tb Buffalo Link Station for £120 (click here), which will connect to existing network, or the other option is to buy the Linksys WRT160N Wireless-N Cable Router & WUSB600N USB Adapter for £47.99 from ebuyer and then buy a compatible hard drive (i.e. Samsung 1tb story station @ £67.49 - click here). How will I know if the hard drive is compatible with the router?

Sorry if this isn't clear - I'm just trying to get my head round this.

Thanks!

tullie 16:23 18 Nov 2009

Sorry,dident know there was such a thing as a wireless external drive,i shall watch with interest.

Strawballs 03:59 19 Nov 2009

You will have to turn off the password option in W7 because that only works between W7 networks once I did this my network works fine between 1 W7, 1 Vista and a couple of XP's

Strawballs 04:00 19 Nov 2009

OOPs wrong thread

T0SH 13:12 20 Nov 2009

Look for NAS (Network Attached Storage) drives they plug into an ethernet port on your existing wireless router and are available from any connected point on your network wired or wireless

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?