Best way to extend wifi coverage

willo500 23:42 26 Jan 2008

Hi

I have a Netgear DG834G router through which a desktop Mac, a Dell desktop a couple of laptops and an X box at various times connect. The house is fairly large and I have the router connected to the phone line downstairs. The Mac is the furthest away and the signal is pretty varied. I have wondered about the best way to deal with this problem. I considered these ideas

1. Powerline ethernet through the electric cables, but am not sure this is compatible with the mac and also whether it would be reliable or not. I am also worried about power surges damaging my computer.

2. Adding some sort of device to sit somewhere in the house to boost the signal. I don't know much about this option

3. Upgrading my router to a more powerful one. I have heard this might give me little additional coverage.

Any advice is gratefully received

Thanks

Willie

ambra4 13:44 27 Jan 2008

Look at these options

1 - If your router antenna can be removed look at replacing with a hi gain antenna

click here

2 – Install a Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender

click here

3 - Check this posting

click here

You will have to upgrade the firmware in the Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender to get the max range

willo500 16:24 27 Jan 2008

Thanks I will investigate. I don't really know if my antenna can be removed or not. If so it looks like a good option

thanks again

willie

willo500 15:29 29 Jan 2008

I have been advised ( by my missus!) to look at powerline solutions because she is s bit worried about wireless stuff in the home

I will keep my options open for the time being

Thanks

Willie

willo500 15:29 29 Jan 2008

I have been advised ( by my missus!) to look at powerline solutions because she is s bit worried about wireless stuff in the home

I will keep my options open for the time being

Thanks

Willie

ambra4 03:49 30 Jan 2008

Take a read here if you need to convince the missus (good luck)

How Safe Is Wifi Electromagnetic Radiation

click here

ambra4 12:06 01 Feb 2008

Take a look at this unit it might solve your problem

Devolo MicroLink dLAN Highspeed Starter Kit

click here

willo500 14:44 13 Feb 2008

Thanks Ambra I will do. Sorry to be so late saying thanks, but I've not been on for a bit

Willie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?