best way to dual boot win 7 & xp

kimtrnc 16:00 30 Nov 2009

I am about to get beautiful new Win 7 machine. Some of my favourite progs will not currently run in 7: most importantly, my HP laserjet 1000 driver and Outlook Express. (Yes, I know there are other emial progs, but I LIKE it!)

Can someone point me towards the definitive way to dual boot, WIN 7 prime, XP secondary, please?

Also, the best way to clear the old machine completely before selling it?

TIA
Kimig

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 30 Nov 2009

Run windows 7 XP mode click here

GaT7 17:51 30 Nov 2009

There's no definitive way of dual-booting Win7 & XP - it will depend on your preferences & hard drive(s). E.g. which one would you like to boot to by default; would you like Win7 on the C: partition or prefer C: had the XP install; would you like one on the 1st drive & the other on the 2nd (assuming you have more than one hard drive); etc? If it's going to be a readymade system with Win7 already installed, you may want to go about it in a different manner. This guide click here covers most of the various scenarios (except the following one...). This guide click here shows how to do it with Win7 already installed - as in the case of a readymade system.

The best way to clear a machine before selling is to retain the hard drive(s) from that machine - perhaps using them as backups/secondary drives in the new machine. If you would like to get rid of the hard drives too, then using something like the free Eraser click here to securely wipe the drive(s) would be recommended. G

kimtrnc 18:32 30 Nov 2009

Thankyou both! I am now wading through reams of downloaded instructions. My new machine arrives next week: will post again re success ( of course!) or difficulties.....

john bunyan 19:00 30 Nov 2009

See here for further comments:
click here
I cannot run the XP mode even though I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit (Motherboard 3 years old)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?