BEST WAY FOR DESKTOP TO GO WIRELESS ?

worcesterman47 18:10 12 Feb 2009

hi, looking for the best way to be able to use my desktop upstairs without long cables, i looked at pci wirelessc cards & bought one previously but it kept on cutting out the net connection...cannot remember make etc but at the time i did a search & found that it was prone to cut off the connection..so, now what i am asking is can anyone recommend a really good card or any other option that would give me a good connection or best connection i could hope for anyway..i just want to have a good/constant connection BUT with no cables trailing down the stairs etc..i do have a router & laptop which i currently use wirelessly..a very fast connection speed and i am running winxp os...so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

CLONNEN 18:13 12 Feb 2009

Wireless always cuts out after a while no matter what brand you use.

Stick to the old reliable cables.

sinbads 18:17 12 Feb 2009

Why not use home plugs
click here

Quiller. 18:19 12 Feb 2009

a usb wifi dongle on a desktop. The range is very good and I never loose the signal.click here

LinH 18:23 12 Feb 2009

Agree with sinbads. I found wireless inconsistent so bought a pack of two homeplugs from Amazon. Brilliant, worked immediately with no setting up required. They were the 200mbs version at just under £55. Forget wireless it's a pain in the butt!

LinH

peugeot man 18:43 12 Feb 2009

I have had a wireless network running at home for 2 years, never had a problem. For machines without wifi I use Belkin USB adapters. Works perfectly on Home Hub and more recently Sky Router.

MAJ 18:47 12 Feb 2009

"Wireless always cuts out after a while no matter what brand you use."

That's news to me. Probably the least expensive option is to use a USB Wireless Adapter, as described above.

Sobeit 18:48 12 Feb 2009

No cut out here either, using belkin.
Possible reasons for a connection drop are poor postioning of antenna or a neighbours setup causing interference.

Try the router in a different position.

Change the channel in the router to avoid interference.

tullie 18:51 12 Feb 2009

Ive never had my wireless connection after a while.

tullie 18:51 12 Feb 2009

Cut out i meant.

Sobeit 18:56 12 Feb 2009

BTW.
I thought the homeplugs had to be on the same circuit?
ie, if the downstairs ring main is not part of the upstairs ringmain they wont work.
Perhaps someone could educate me.
P.s. none of the 'click here' links are working for me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?