best virus protection

toonfireman1 23:02 06 Apr 2004

Could any one advice to the best buy and explain why?

VoG II 23:10 06 Apr 2004

Avast! click here

is free so is AVG click here

Personally I use McAfee but that is a personal preference (that costs me).

Belatucadrus 23:10 06 Apr 2004

The best buy for the non profit home user is not to buy at all, go for one of the companies that have a free home version of a reputable commercial product; products such as Alwils avast! 4 and Grisofts AVG 6 fit the bill nicely. Both products have their champions on the forum, but I happen to prefer avast! it has a high degree of automation, good update system, plus support via the website, there are many posts on the same theme, here are links to a few click here click here click here

rickimalone 23:11 06 Apr 2004

Easy to use, powerful and the company symantec is one of the world leaders in computer security and anti-virus products.

The program updated all the time with new defintions via "live update" which can run automatic and you can renew the subscription for £19.99 a year, which to me is cheap for total peace of mind.

However anything less than a P4 2.8GHZ or AMD2400+ with 512MB DRR RAM and it will slow down you PC.

Happy shopping i'm sure quite a few people will give you some good advice for the web site click here click here

However dont buy it from there it's much cheaper on the web go for the OEM without the box for about £25.99 with a year's update subscriptions.

Giggle n' Bits 23:12 06 Apr 2004

ok, you have to pay for it but its automatic, user friendly, excellent web site with virus removal tools. You will get a mixed responce some will say AVG, McAfee, Sophois (spelling?) erh Panda, a a few others.

Which ISP do you have and also Win XP?

As different Virus software support browsers in diferent ways, AOL has x and not x etc.

romanab 23:28 06 Apr 2004

If you just want the best and don't mind paying then you should choose either F-secure or Kaspersky labs as these are generally the top performers in av tests(including uni of Hamburg).

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:58 06 Apr 2004

Best ever Virus protection is nerver go online.

Regards.

GaT7 00:39 07 Apr 2004

Agree with rickimalone & Kinloss on this one for the same reasons they've mentioned.

If you want the best at a price romanab's F-Secure will do very nicely.

I run Norton Internet Security (NIS, also contains NAV) on a 600Mhz system - supposed to slow it down but it doesn't : ) . Excellent so far.

The cheapest way (I've found) to get NAV is on eBay by buying Norton SystemWorks (contains NAV)or NIS or NAV as a stand alone product. You can get them for as low as £10 - click here= . Only go for versions 2003 or later & determine they're genuine CDs & not blank-faced copies before buying.

Some have mentioned the free AV options. They can't be beaten for price-performance. For freeware AV Group tests - 1. click here. 2. click here (see page 2 as well)

For added security, to keep out e-mail viruses that are cause for most virus infections of the average PC user, use programs like MailWasher click here, ePrompter click here or POP Peeper click here, which will let you preview messages & delete the dodgy ones directly off the server before they even reach your PC.

Do you need a firewall or firewall+AV program as well?

ade.h 00:41 07 Apr 2004

As Kinloss says, different folk have their faves. I use Norton, but AVG and McAfee are good too. Whatever you pick, keep it up-to-date and be careful with email and you'll be fine.

GaT7 01:32 07 Apr 2004

PS - this may be helpful too...

Read this article about antivirus not being sufficient & the other tools you need when your PC may come 'Under Attack!' - click here (click the 'next' button at the bottom of each page to ensure you read it completely).

temp003 05:05 07 Apr 2004

Haven't tried it myself, but NOD32 is supposed to be very good. Beats all the others in virus detection. Detects new viruses without updated virus definition better than others. Also supposed to be fast and use fewer resources. Could be over-aggressive in detection though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?