Best Video Card Upgrade for Compaq Evo310

Elkopop 21:04 24 Feb 2006

Hoping I can boost gaming performance of my Compaq Evo D310 and would like to find out the best video card it will be worth getting to boost gaming for the kids. Currently has Nvidia geforce Mx 440. Processor is Pen 4 Intel1.7ghz. Anyone help with ideas as to what better it could go with better card or whether it is as good as it gets??
After scouring the comments on this forum I recently took the plunge and am awaiting delivery of a medium spec Mesh Matrix El with AMD 3200 proc and Geforce 6600 le video card, so was hoping to get the Evo improved to try and close the gap a bit with the new one?

Diodorus Siculus 10:20 25 Feb 2006

It all depends on what you plan to do with the Comapaq - what you have will be ok unless you get into gaming / video editing.

Does it have an AGP slot?

You will be able to upgrade it but any improvement will depend on what you want to do with it.

Elkopop 11:34 25 Feb 2006

For gaming mainly to get it as near as possible to the new Mesh so both kids can play same game with each other. It has AGP and 628 physical memory (I upgraded the memory from 256 when bought then later fitted the 440 video card to improve the onboard graphics set up that it came with. Can I get much more out of it with a 1700 speed processor? thanks.

Cybermaxx 11:43 25 Feb 2006

What about an AGP 6600GT? It's a lot better than the 6600LE in your new system, and would go some way to closing the performance advantage provided by the new system's superior CPU, memory etc.

Here's one for £93 (third card from the bottom of the page!)

click here

Cybermaxx 11:45 25 Feb 2006

Oops, sorry, make that fourth card from the bottom of the page!

Or, alternatively, this Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB for £99 might be a good option. Third one down this time.

click here

Cybermaxx 12:02 25 Feb 2006

Btw, how did you manage to get 628MB of RAM? What denominations is that made up of?

Elkopop 12:51 25 Feb 2006

Thanks cyber Ive had a look at both, are u saying limit myself to the ones youve indicated because cards with high memory wont make any extra difference because of the main processor speed or were u thinking more that it probably isn't worth spending more than £100 on the old system?

Elkopop 12:53 25 Feb 2006

Your right i'm a goofer, I should have said 512, I used the physicAL mem figure it gives you when I had a quick check in the system info!- thanks

Cybermaxx 16:30 25 Feb 2006

That old P4 will limit your frame rates in newer games. Also, what sort of RAM does it have? Both those cards would provide a massive boost in gaming performance over that MX440, though. MX440 only supports up to DirectX 7, whereas those both support DX 9.0C.

If money is no object (I had assumed you just wanted to match the performance provided by your new system!) then you could splash out on a 6800GS (about £150) or even a 7800GS (about £210. I'm after one of these, and I have a P4 2.66 and 1GB PC2700 RAM, btw).

Another 512MB of RAM might be a good idea, as well, but what sort does it use?

I'll have a Google for the motherboard....

Cybermaxx 16:48 25 Feb 2006

Meh, too much hassle! Good luck! Remember, though, that the 6600LE isn't all that good

click here

and any AGP card from the vanilla 6600 upwards will out-perform it.

Elkopop 22:02 25 Feb 2006

Thanks for the advice and the comparison link that is handy, I looked at the memory but in all the numbers printed on the memory strips it does not appear to say what speed they are only that they are ddr, though surprising to me when I took them out tonight to look closer (and spring clean it)the original strip is only one sider with eight chips = 128, the one I added is two sided therefore 256 though not stated on it therefore I guess it only has 384 and there are only two dimm sockets on the motherboard so I guess 512 would be the max.PC2100 appears on the original 128 memory strip, could that be a clue as to speed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017