Best value notebook from Under £700 Jan - Mar 07

Smiiithy 14:07 22 Oct 2006

Can anybody cast their views as to the best time in the coming months to buy a mid-range notebook or any suggestions on suitable notebook?

I'm looking to purchase an average spec laptop with a very maximum budget 0f £700, but looking for top value and would go for a lower spec if it was an excellent notebook for the money. I'm looking to buy after Jan but could wait until about March at the latest.

Points to note:

* This is to be used along side my home PC for wireless compatibility around the house, downloading and demanding tasks could be carried out on the main PC

* Main use would be for entertainment on frequent train travel / at work and wireless capability at home (so weight and battery life are both important issues)

* Suitable spec for offline gaming, although this is a lesser priority after weight and value

*Wireless capability is a must

Graham. 15:46 22 Oct 2006

Things are changing so fast it is impossible to see into the future.

Good buy at the moment
click here

sean-278262 16:29 22 Oct 2006

Prices are all the time dropping. I purchased a lan card 4 weeks ago its already 2 quid cheaper! Basically when you have the money go for it but check out what the latest tech is and when its coming out. THings like quad core processors will drop the solo and dual core units in price so if they are due 2 weeks later it may be best to hold off for a couple of weeks to get that little bit more.

Smiiithy 12:50 23 Oct 2006

I do recognize that the prices will fall, and whatever I buy will have almost halved in value in 6 months.

But will items such as notebooks be effected by January sales?

I consider picking the highest rated notebook on PC Adviser's chart in Jan - but I'd prefer to do it in Feb if sales wont effect my purchase?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?