Best type of Graphics for doing the following

Audio~~Chip 19:05 06 Sep 2010

I am putting together a new machine built arround XP Pro and will be upgrading to 7 in about another year or two.

My main use of the machine I will use Word, Excell and Power Point. I will also be using a programme called BaseStation nearly 24/7 which is a graphical display, also I watch a lot of online catch up TV, HD videos and maybe online film streaming in the future.

I feel I don't need a 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express card and only need a 512MB GDDR X. the memory type I will have will be DDR III with a I7 930 CPU.

Am I correct thinking a 512MB will be plenty or should I go for a 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express card please

I am Spartacus 20:09 06 Sep 2010

Although there are newer cards around the HD4350 is good value and should meet your requirements click here

The CPU & RAM are a bit overkill for what you're going to use it for.

Audio~~Chip 20:20 06 Sep 2010

Thanks for the call!

But Direct x v11 ? if I was to go onto windows 7 in a year will having direct x v.10 be a downfall. Not really sure about direct x and its advantages and use.

also if my RAM memory is DDR3 does this have any impact on Graphics memory type as I see DDr, DDR2 & DDR5

thanks again

I am Spartacus 20:40 06 Sep 2010

If you don't play games you don't need DirectX 11 same with different types of RAM. At the price of that card a years use would mean you could replace it and have had your money's worth.

I am Spartacus 20:42 06 Sep 2010

Just noticed the card is out of stock in my first link but it's available here for a couple of quid more click here

Audio~~Chip 21:15 06 Sep 2010

HyperMemory worries me, because it steals system RAM. What happens if a programe is running using a large amount of my main system RAM and then this card snatches it by HyperMemory? also does HyperMemory when used then release it back ok?

I have been looking at the following as these don't have Hypermemory

Sapphire Ultimate HD 4650 1GB DDR2
Sapphire HD 4670 Ultimate Ed 512MB GDDR3
Sapphire HD 5550 1GB GDDR5

Audio~~Chip 22:05 06 Sep 2010

I have decided on the Sapphire HD 4670 Ultimate Ed 512MB GDDR3 as like I am Sparticus said because not playing games I don't really require DX.11, and 1GB will be overkiil for my requirments.
Passive cooling (No FAN!) and this card apperently copes very well for temps even when overclocked accoring to overclockers review.

So thanks I am Spartacus for helping me get this one sorted. Next is my last component system Ram so anyone reading this who knows please follow my new thread.

gazzaho 06:28 07 Sep 2010

I'm not familiar with hypermemory, but I would imagine a 512MB card would dip into system memory if needed, more than a 1GB card. If hypermemory worries you then a 1GB card might be the safer option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?