BEST TABLET FOR 80 SOMETHINGS

Banners44 18:55 25 Sep 2014

Hi,

I am looking to get my parents who are both in the 80s and non-computer owners/users to this point a tablet. The main reason/use will be to Skype my brother in Canada, browse the web and watch catch-up tv/iplayer.

Something straight forward for them to operate is the order of the day. And probably a 10 inch screen would be preferable.

Thanks.

john bunyan 18:59 25 Sep 2014

If you can afford it the iPad is excellent.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:08 25 Sep 2014

do they have a wireless broad band connection?

Banners44 19:17 25 Sep 2014

Thanks for those responses.

I was looking/hoping to spent less than £200. I'm not looking for anything too fancy as the reality is that the folks will only use it for the things I have mentioned.

Yes, they do have wireless internet connection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 25 Sep 2014

£200 best one for that price is the Nexus 7

however tesco are bringing out the Hudl2 very soon it may be worth a look and cheaper.

rdave13 19:45 25 Sep 2014

I'm with john bunyan here. iPads just work but will cost more than £300.

Edit and good grief, found this on Amazon, iPad2 with free del.

£55 over budget I know but are a good machine. Just don't update to iOS 8 yet.

rdave13 19:49 25 Sep 2014

Nexus 7, 7" screen pales to the iPAD even though a capable tablet in its own right.

Woolwell 21:23 25 Sep 2014

How good is their eyesight? I would go for the 9/10" screen size.

spuds 00:18 26 Sep 2014

Before making a final purchase, I would suggest a visit to somewhere like PC World/Currys with your parent's if possible. They usually have a good display range in store, which would provide possible suitable first hand demonstrations for suitability.

Forum Editor 08:01 26 Sep 2014

The iPad at rdave13's link is a bargain. It would be an ideal solution in your situation.

wee eddie 08:45 26 Sep 2014

I don't want to rain on your parade but: As you say, your parents already have Wireless Internet, which suggests that they already have a PC or Laptop.

I ask you, will a Tablet replace either of these or do the job better. If not it is destined to be money wasted. Just bought out when they think that you are likely to appear.

At a mere 69, I am frequently berated, by my younger relatives, for not having an X or Y. I have a PC with a large screen which covers all my computing needs. I now have a SmartPhone, because I need the CabApp App for my Taxi, otherwise it really is a waste of money, it does what my old Mobile did at 4 times the price. I had a laptop but gave it away as it only got used when I went away which entailed about 24 hours of updates and synchronisation. A total waste of space, so I gave it away.

I suggest a case of Champagne, they and their friends will love every drop and you will not be putting their goodwill under stress.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires