Best photo image.

geedad 09:47 15 Jul 2009

What is the best photo image to save to?
.JPEG or what?
Copy without losing resolution ..etc.?
Thanks
geedad

Technotiger 09:52 15 Jul 2009

.jpg is the most used generally throughout!

geedad 10:02 15 Jul 2009

Technotiger
Thank you,
geedad

Graphicool1 10:11 15 Jul 2009

If you save to JPG it has to be 'Without Compression' otherwise, with time the picture will degrade. If you edit pictures and want to go back and work them some more. The best format in this case would be PNG. It's lossless and saves the layers. In this respect you can include TIF. However, both PNG and TIF are very large files, that will get larger each time you work (edit) them. As they keep a memory of everything you do. The beauty of this is, nomatter what you do to the original it will still be their to revert back to. If however you intend sending the pictures over the Internet, you best bet is to edit and store them with PNG and/or TIF and make copies in uncompressed JPG to send via email.

I know you haven't asked, but don't ask me about DPI (dots per inch) or PPI (pixels per inch) at the moment I'm wading waist deep in what's turning out to be coagulating treacle. The more I read on the subject the less I understand. Every Website I turn to for help contradicts the last.

T I M B O 10:22 15 Jul 2009

I know a photographer that deals with .raw. No compression at all. I assume thats the best ??? But i normally keep pictures in tif format, about 50,000 KB in size.

gigagiggles 11:32 15 Jul 2009

hello.

it depends on what you plan to do with the saved photo images? photoshop (verb), print full size, compile and organize, send via internet to others ... each task demands a certain format for maximal effectiveness and efficiency.

hssutton 11:57 15 Jul 2009

For the everyday snappers and web use save in Jpeg, for the more serious photograper save as Tiff.

Timbo, Raw requires conversion to such as Tiff or Jpeg. I save all my Raw files and most of my converted Tiff files. Jpegs I delete from my PC after uploading to web or emailing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?