The best personal firewall

Fateful Shadow 12:23 09 Nov 2003

I'm looking for a good free firewall, and I need some advice from people who use these firewalls:

- Kerio Personal Firewall

- Agnitum Personal Firewall

- Tiny Personal Firewall

- Sygate Personal Firewall, and

- Zonealarm Free Version

Out of the 5 above, what would you say is the best firewall for a home user? Bear in mind that I like fast startups, so I would prefer one that starts up pretty tout suite!

TheTerminator 12:28 09 Nov 2003

It seems to do the job beautifully...
I tried zone alarm - full of silly graphics and unwanted info screens and tiny firewall - no real problems, i just prefer sygate for what my opinions are worth.

critic-al 12:29 09 Nov 2003

sysgate for me also,so uncomplicated.

critic-al 12:31 09 Nov 2003

sysgate??? SYGATE

Fateful Shadow 12:34 09 Nov 2003

Sounds like a sygate all-rounder!

I'll wait for a while though, see what anyone else wants to say about these firewalls.

Thanks for the advice TheTerminator and critic-al :)

obbit 12:35 09 Nov 2003

i have only used zonealarm. i find it very easy to use and causes me no trouble.

it is updated regulary and it is free.

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:39 09 Nov 2003

They all d the same job and are as good as each other. I don't use a firewall but many of my friends use Agnitum. It works quietly in the background and uses a minimal amount of resources. however I would just choose anyone, there is litle point in worrying about it.
G

bof:) 12:54 09 Nov 2003

Agnitums Outpost works well for me. I first used Zone Alarm and upgraded to Zone Alarm Pro which prevented me from accessing any of my emails. I emailed zone labs for help several times without success.

I could get my emails if I unistalled Zone Alarm Pro. I posted this problem on this site and eventually opted for Agnitums Outpost which has worked well ever since.

Mike

porci 12:57 09 Nov 2003

Sygate or Zone Alarm work just fine for me. Tried Norton and it sucked big time......all my resources I mean

Fateful Shadow 13:00 09 Nov 2003

Does anybody use Blackice? My friend says it's supposed to be up there with Zone Alarm.

Thanks for the advice all :)

hugh-265156 13:20 09 Nov 2003

outpost for me too.

they are all good though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone