Best non-netgear adapter card for WG624 router

Slipmatt 15:43 02 Apr 2007

Hi -
I'm running XP Pro SP2 on my Thinkpad, and have had nothing but problems trying to install the netgear WG511T card I got in a package with the netgear WG624 router. Together they can get a decent throughput of 108 (super G) mbps. But the card causes my laptop to freeze -and blue screen errors to occur. Despite downloading various different drivers (even the atheros ones) the card is still causing my laptop to freeze.

So - I'd like to know what would be a good card which will work reasonably well with the WG624 router - I dont want another netgear - and dont want to spend too much more.

What cards should I be looking at ?

Many thanks,
Matt

Slipmatt 15:59 02 Apr 2007

In addition to the above (sorry, dont know how to edit) - what is going to work best, a USB adapter or a PCMCIA adapter? (I assumed a PCMCIA would have a better signal?)

Thanks,
Matt

Strawballs 12:57 03 Apr 2007

If you are using the laptop in the house then a usb adapter on the end of a usb extention wire which gets the adapter away from the interference of the computer itself.

Some come with this and a stand for the adapter.

Slipmatt 11:45 04 Apr 2007

Thanks Strawballs - one question:

I only have 1 usb port on my laptop (its pretty old) - will the usb wireless extension and dongle work via a 4-port splitter which I plug in to my 1 laptop usb port. I have noticed that when I attach my seagate harddrive via the (cheap) splitter it slows down the write speed - so I figure the signal for the wireless dongle may not be very good - am I right ?

Thanks again,
Matt

Ashrich 17:55 04 Apr 2007

D-Link DWL-G650 is a great PC Card adapter either the ordinary one or the M version , they supply good drivers and have great range , for a PCMCIA card I highly recommend them .

Ashley

Strawballs 19:48 04 Apr 2007

I would imagine that would be correct for the dongle but having never been there I could not say for sure your best bet would be to get a powered hub (one with it's own power supply)

Ashrich 21:08 04 Apr 2007

A 108mb/s USB dongle would need a USB 2.0 port to run properly and a powered one at that , not a shared one , and you'd need that to get the best out of the WGT624 .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?