best linux for a toshiba tecra M1 laptop

timerep 15:21 03 Dec 2009

hi guys, can anyone tell me what the best linux version to use on a toshiba tecra M1 laptop. ubuntu 9.10 works but you cant expand the display to fill the full screen, mandriva wont load,its a pain as the laptop is gutsy enough with 1.5 gb ram and a 1.86 ghz cpu but the graphics comes from a trident graphics card on the main board and an up to date driver is no longer available. Currently running windows vista home basic as graphics not capable of the aero thingy, will run windows 7 but doent load drivers for some of the components on the unit wereas vista does and all seems to work but would like to step away from windows if I could what can you suggest?

bremner 15:37 03 Dec 2009

This is a very simple Linux click here that I have installed on one of my lower spec machines.

timerep 14:41 04 Dec 2009

hmm same thing has happend as with mandriva begins to load pc linux os and a message says probing edd edd= off to disable and everything stops.what can I do as I have tried to run safe mode install option on the linux disc but the same thing happens. the graphics card in the toshiba has 32 mb of ram and a max res of 1200x600 approx so should be ok?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017