Best laptop for games for £350-£450

Chris251 12:48 07 Apr 2011

Hi
My mum is looking to buy a new laptop, she uses it mainly for internet and games. She downloads them from a website bigfish. Other than that it would be CSI games. How fast a processor does she really need? Will she need to spend more than £350-£450?
Someone told she would need a PC rather than a laptop but she is getting older and likes to get comfy on her couch which is why she is leaning more towards a laptop.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

GaT7 15:37 07 Apr 2011

The most important piece of hardware for games, is the graphics card. As these days, just about any laptop that comes with a reasonable to good (or better) dedicated graphics card will easily meet & exceed most games' other system requirements like CPU, RAM, HDD, etc so you don't have to worry about the other components.

Bigfish games seem to be Flash-based only (?), & if so, shouldn't be a problem at all. I had a look into the system requirements for CSI games, which I'm assuming are these click here, with system requrements for CSI Fatal Conspiracy at click here, & they don't appear to be taxing either. But I don't think onboard graphics (the type most laptops come with) will be good enough, so I'd recommend getting a laptop with a dedicated graphics card.

Does she have a preference for any particular screen size? G

Chris251 16:47 07 Apr 2011

Thank you so much this is very helpful. Yes those the the CSI games I meant.
No she isn't really sure to be honest. She has used my 13" macbook she thinks its ok but I thought maybe 15 would be better.
Are there lots of different types of the graphics cards to consider?

GaT7 18:30 07 Apr 2011

"Are there lots of different types of the graphics cards to consider?"

Fortunately not too many in your price range (the full list is at click here - includes past & present GPUs with ascending performance).

The spec of this 15.6" HP Pavilion DV6-3103SA Laptop click here (for £458 incl del) isn't too bad with a triple-core CPU, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb hard drive & a HD 5470 GPU. You can see that the HD 5470 is about middle of the road in the list, which will arguably be among the best for the budget.

And just to be on the safe side, I would also query if the above HP laptop will be good enough or not on a CSI Games forum website. G

GaT7 18:40 07 Apr 2011

Sorry, the GPU list is actually in descending order of performance, with the best ones near the top. G

Chris251 13:44 11 Apr 2011

Thank you again for all your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?