* 120 GB Hard Drive
* 15.4 WXGA Widescreen Display
* DVD-SuperMulti Dual Layer Drive
* INTEL GMA X3100 Graphics Card Type
* Wireless Enabled
* Inky Blue Black Colour
Graphics Memory 251 M

bremner 18:45 11 Dec 2007

Firstly think it is well recognized that Toshiba make good laptops. That said, in all honesty having a machine with less than 1GB of dedicated RAM on a machine running Vista is asking for a slow computer.

The spec you have listed has only 750MB of dedicated RAM as 256MB is used for graphics.

Totally-braindead 19:16 11 Dec 2007

I like Toshibas they are good solid build machines. I have to agree with bremner though. 1 gig on a Vista machine is just not enough even on Vista Basic and this would be worse as its Premium so would demand more.
Having said that, memory is cheap so for perhaps £20 you should be able to add another gig of memory.
I do have concerns about the processor though, its a Celeron which is Intels budget range and is not all that fast.
To be honest if you can I would try to see one running and see what you think. Otherwise up your budget a bit and try to get a dual core processor with 2 gig of RAM.

Ashrich 21:03 11 Dec 2007

The likelihood is that the memory is in two sticks for dual channel , it may be necessary to discard both of those to upgrade to 2 gigabytes , better to buy a machine with a better specification in the first place .

Ashley

sarah87 18:15 20 Dec 2007

i was just wondering which is the best laptop brand nowadays?

CatTrading 19:12 20 Dec 2007

"i was just wondering which is the best laptop brand nowadays?"
I use Toshiba or RockDirect.
My Toshiba gets used every day for business and was easy to upgrade the RAM Memory.

How much do you want to spend?
If we know how much then we could offer better advice.
The Toshiba you mention looks under spec to run Vista.
And has On-Board graphics that will mean at least 128MB of RAM will be used by it, hence less for Vista.

skidzy 22:16 20 Dec 2007

Sarah you have had some sound advice but we really need to know your budget.

Dell have some good deals and i can totally recommend them in all departments.

Picking something with a Celeron cpu is really a backward step in todays market,and as said...you really need 2GB of ram to run Vista comfortably.

Some ideas click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone