Best HDD imaging program...

Gaz 25 19:10 21 Jul 2004

I have external 80Gig HDD and I need to back up all windows to it - so I can restore it.

Like my Acronis True Image. Problem is - its the older version and well its showing its age.

Is acronis the most reliable?

Or does Symantecs Drive Image work better (prev. PowerQuest)?

Basically need a VERY reliable method.

Regards,
Gareth

g0nvs 19:13 21 Jul 2004

Tried em all, now use Ghost, very good & reliable.
click here

It's Me 19:17 21 Jul 2004

Symantec's method is called Norton Ghost, which is part of Norton System Works Pro, or, I believe' can be obtained separately.
I have used it for some 18 months now and it has never let me down, either using a second HDD or using multiple CDs.

woodchip 19:17 21 Jul 2004

Both that you mention are the best and nothing between them other than with acronis, the CD can be mounted in explorer and individual files dragged from the Image file

pc moron 19:22 21 Jul 2004

I use Norton Ghost and its never let me down- whether it be a backup or restore to/from CD or a disk/partition clone, it has never failed.

OU812 19:31 21 Jul 2004

I've used Drive Image 7 for the past year and its proved to be both reliable and easy to use.

I haven't tried any other drive imaging programme so I can't say if its the best or most reliable but I do know I have been very happy with its performance thus far.

Gaz 25 20:38 21 Jul 2004

Ummm,

The problem with Drive Image is it uses .NET, and although this is the latest - I dont particualy want to have to install it.

Is Acronis True Image good for my Windows 98SE - though to XP and linux systems any good?

NTFS and FAT32 + ext3 support must be provided and have the capability of backing up to a USB 2.0 EXTERNAL HDD?

Must be easy to recover from system faliure as well, either by booting from the disc or whatever - and needs to be able to read External HDD.

Regards,
Gareth

woodchip 20:57 21 Jul 2004

I have Free Acronis and it works with 98se and XP

You could also look at 'Image For Windows' click here

Only about £15-£16 and includes 'Image For DOS'.

mammak 22:01 21 Jul 2004

woodchip give me a link to the free Acronis,
thank you very much, All the best Mammak.

Gaz 25 22:19 21 Jul 2004

Where can you get the free version?

I am currently using Acronis 6 from a cover disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?