best graphics card for laptop

leeknight67 21:23 08 Sep 2006

what graphics card do you all recommend for a packard bell f5277 laptop. i need it to run games at a good rate. i have windows xp 2.7ghz 1024 mbram

cheers

Lee

woodchip 21:28 08 Sep 2006

You cannot chang a Graphics card on a Laptop, They are built in

leeknight67 21:29 08 Sep 2006

is there no way i can make adjustments to make it better??

woodchip 21:37 08 Sep 2006

Things to Speed a Laptop is First a Faster Hard Drive as they normally fit a 42000 rpm drive you need at least 7200 rpm I fitted on in mine, as I was fedup watching the hard drive light at boot and waiting and waiting. Next you should have minimum of 512mb Memory to speed it up on read writes

Mytob 00:16 09 Sep 2006

in my experiance if you want to do gaming forget a laptop! they almost always come with crap onboard grafics cards to them which in some cases wond even run the original doom games!!!!!! if you insist on a laptop get sumint like a alienware one as they are designed for gaming. for proper gaming get a pc. you can upgrade all aspects of it with minimal fuss where with a laptop if you want a new grafics card your stuffed.

sean-278262 00:45 09 Sep 2006

A few corrections to make here.

"You cannot chang a Graphics card on a Laptop, They are built in"

Not totally true. However in this posters case it is the way it is. However many can be.

click here

"if you insist on a laptop get sumint like a alienware one as they are designed for gaming."

However posting the most powerful machines isnt always the way to go. Sony, dell, acer and many others all have laptops based around reasonable chipsets that allow you to play most games at very good frame rates for a reasonable price. I paid 640 and got a laptop that plays Half Life2 on average settings.

"you need at least 7200 rpm I fitted on in mine" Again it depends what you really want. I have a 5400rpm drive which is pretty reasonable for Halflife and co.

However you will never get too amazing a look from any game with that laptop. If you are wanting to play games my suggestion is to (if you have had it less than 7 days) is to take it back and see if you can get your money back. If you have had it longer you could sell it and then buy a new machine with a card that will run the games you want to play.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?