Best gfx crd upgrade for agp slot 1 2x ??

wonderland 02:12 05 Jan 2007

Hi all,

win2k p111 500mhz

I tried to post this before but I cant see it so am trying again so sorry if there is a double post.

I am trying to upgrade a nvidia 32mb tnt2 card on an old se440bx machine to pass on to the kids.

They do not play high end games e.g splinter cell but more along the lines of disney types as they are of that age.

I have looked at gainward fx5500, radeon 9700 and ati rage fury. (Anything higher than 32mb.) They seem to be universal and fit into a 3.3v slot 1.0 this informaion could be incorrect so please correct me if I am wrong.

I understand that there could be throttling issues but want to get the maximum memory I can out of the card

Is it worth the upgrade or should I just leave it?

TIA

sean-278262 04:00 05 Jan 2007

Is it worth the upgrade or should I just leave it?

What you have you wont see any gains what so ever. A fast graphics card doesnt improve on what you have already. It it too old and outdated to be worth it. Being totally honest spending £200 on a brand new bargain basement computer would beat any expense spent on upgrading what you have. However if you came across a fx5200 on one of the gumtree type sites for a few quid it cant hurt to try.

Memory on a gfx card isnt what is important it is all of it and what it is attached to. It is like a fiat panda with a v12. Lots of grunt in one way but still a panda underneath and let down by the unchanged parts

wonderland 16:29 05 Jan 2007

Hi creature of the night.

Thanks for the info, I kind of expected that there would be throttling issues with those cards. I suppose I was hoping above hope.

I will be checking out that recommendation on the fx5200 and any others that might be suggested here.

Thanks once again.

brundle 16:31 05 Jan 2007

Geforce 3 Ti200 or Ti500, £10-£15 on Ebay these days.
Will cope with more than that system can throw at it.

Strawballs 16:55 05 Jan 2007

click here New and they do have others.

Strawballs 16:57 05 Jan 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?