best full function internet security

kalstras 18:48 21 Apr 2007

I am not syaing anything more than I would like info as to evryones best all round-full function internet security. Norton was too system hungry and I'm looking to go elsewhere, Where else?

I am currently using Windows Live OneCare, which is great but has no email scanner.

Forum Editor 19:21 21 Apr 2007

the ideal one-stop-shop application. I tend to change from time to time, simply to keep up to speed with what's available, and at the moment I'm using Kapersky anti-virus in conjunction with Counterspy, and the Windows Vista firewall. They seem to keep me ticking along quite nicely - no problems so far.

Devil Fish 19:24 21 Apr 2007

you could set yourself up for free though it involves installing different progs

AntiVirus and antispyware click here

Antispyware with realtime protection click here

firewall click here

kalstras 22:19 21 Apr 2007

Doesn't sound promising but how is Macafee compared to Norton, is it less memory hungry? I only am changing because Norton charged me £47.00 and they didn't get rid of the Smitfaud virus (I got a refund for both the phone call and the Norton Int. Sec. 2007) Always liked Norton bfore this, but now that I use Win. Live Onecare, my machine works like magic, but is it as protected?

More later

But Macafee is on the cards, hate free software never works as good as the paid for stuff. :/

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:53 22 Apr 2007

'hate free software never works as good as the paid for stuff. :/'...you have evidence for this? AVG free, spyware terminator and any old free firewall if you feel that you need one. The main thing you need for protection is common sense, as without it no firewall or AV will protect you.

G

kalstras 09:55 22 Apr 2007

'hate free software never works as good as the paid for stuff'

you know what I mean, AVG is good, but obviously they offer a paid "better" product, as do Zone Alarm "Zone Alarm Pro" for instance...

No offence to those fre programs, I just know that you have to really work to get them to perform as well as a "one stop" program such as Norton or MacAfee

But if you have a better plan let me know thats why I started this thread. :)

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:06 22 Apr 2007

AVG free and spyware terminatyor update automatically and work in the background...as good as any one stop solution. Most one stop solutions take up huge amounts of power.

'I just know that you have to really work to get them to perform as well as a "one stop" program'..you do not have to do anything. Run them and leave them.
'you know what I mean, AVG is good, but obviously they offer a paid "better" product'..there is no difference in the virus stopping capabilites. The paid for version is for commercial use and has some extra settings that a home user would never use.

There is no need to get ultra paranoid about home computer security. You have more chance of hitting the Lotto and EuroLotto on the same day than being hacked on a home computer as home computers contain utter rubbish and nonsense which might be important to the user but to no one else. All you need to do is set up the 2 programmes and any old firewall and leave them to do their job...it does not get any easier.

G

kalstras 10:18 22 Apr 2007

Can you provide links to these please. I will 'ave a look.

Cheers

Kal

kalstras 10:19 22 Apr 2007

PS Windows Firewall ok?

skidzy 10:26 22 Apr 2007

Windows firewall offers only one way protection (inbound) unless you are using Vista that offers inbound and outbound.

In my opinion you do not need to buy these packages of one button checkup etc...I run 6 machines,well 7 machines from windows 98 to Vista and all security is freeware and to date no problems with viruses or tojans,only the odd tracking cookie and thats with 3 kids surfing the net everyday also.
Have a look here for some advice click here

At the end of the day,it comes down to sensible surfing and downloading.
If in any doubt about downloads,ask here first.

Forum Editor 10:28 22 Apr 2007

The Vista firewall is excellent - otherwise I advise using a third-party product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?