best free vpn for privacy

pookie 20:39 31 Aug 2013

Hi,

Windows 7 with sp1. Use Bitdefender for firewall and antivirus.

What is the best free vpn for my desktop pc? I've been reading about them and think it would be good to have to protect against online bank transaction fraud and general privacy.

Thank you

wiz-king 08:51 01 Sep 2013

Having a VPN wont increase you security at all. Just use Trusteer for banking. Most cheap VPN's slow you computer surfing down.

Jwbjnwolf 09:22 01 Sep 2013

I often use Hotspot Shield

I don't use VPN to secure what I do online but I do use it to access stuff like Google Voice to use for free due to the VPN making out you're in US. It's free, and it doesn't slow down browsing at all.

You even can do it on your iOS device which is cool

...well except it munches the battery.

It's free so if you want to give it a try, go for it, and I do certainly recommend for anyone to use this for what the name says "hotspot shield".

Again, I don't use this to secure what I'm doing online, I just use it to be able to take advantage of things such as Google Voice.

1]: [click here

Jwbjnwolf 09:24 01 Sep 2013

Oh good grief! I think time for me to practice on the links again xD

testing testing

Jwbjnwolf 09:25 01 Sep 2013

Ok, what on earth is causing that click here as I'm doing it no different than normally

pookie 12:04 01 Sep 2013

Thank you for the replies. I'll give Hotspot Shield a go

jetwan 08:44 03 Sep 2013

VPN is useful when you want to access a network from outside the network. For example, you want to access your home network when you travel oversea.

If you do not need that, better do not use VPN as it only make your security lower.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?