Best Free Software to Create Backup Advice

Mary144 14:54 03 Feb 2010

I want to copy my entire system to an external USB hard drive before I replace my damaged internal hard drive (I am getting SMART failure imminent message on boot up). Once I replace the internal hard drive I want to copy back all my system data to the internal drive. I have read some previous posts that recommend XXCLONE and Driveimage but looking at the FAQs for these products I'm not sure they will allow me to do what I want. I wondered if anyone has used software in the way I would like to and can recommend something.

canarieslover 15:15 03 Feb 2010

Try Easeus Todo copy software. Free and it will clone your hard drive. click here

birdface 15:19 03 Feb 2010

Maybe get some advice on this.It is free for 24 hours.

click here

john bunyan 15:56 03 Feb 2010

This thread may be worth a read. Most would agree that Acronis True Image 2010 (not free) is very good and worth paying for.

click here

I would take the opportunity of having two partitions on the new hard drive - about 60 gig for system and the rest for data (My documents) . For the latter I use FreeFileSynch which creates a mirror image of your data but you need other software for cloning or imaging system (programme) files.

Mary144 16:15 03 Feb 2010

Thanks for the advice. I just called Western Digital support and they have an Acronis download for customers to backup and restore data from one drive to another, including an external drive, so I will give that a go.

Pamy 10:54 04 Feb 2010

Mary144, the Weston Digital software will only backup your data and you have said you have done that .
If you do not have a CD with your operating system on it, you will not be able to install it.

You must have imaging software (free or bought) or a program to clone the whole HDD over to a new one

canarieslover 11:55 04 Feb 2010

I have just used the Easeus ToDo software to clone my drive and, although I have not yet used it, it also offers back up and restore facilities. Seems a good alternative to Acronis and its free.

Input Overload 13:35 05 Feb 2010

click here give away of The Day. Valid Friday 4 Feb only - EASEUS Partition Master 5.0.1 Professional Edition

Input Overload 13:36 05 Feb 2010

Sorry buteman, missed your post.

DieSse 15:59 14 Feb 2010

The Western Digital version of Acronis will do exactly what you want - click here

john bunyan 15:36 15 Feb 2010

Not sure what OS you have. The WD Acronis is, I think, based on ATI 2009, and I am not sure if this runs with Windows 7 64bit. Maybe DieSse would comment.I bought ATI 2010 when I switched to W7 but maybe the 2009 version works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017