best free protection Windows 8

Markito 17:55 13 Jul 2013

I've just ordered a new Windows 8 laptop (which I'm slightly dreading having come straight from XP Pro). I know it has Defender already installed but what other protection, preferably free, would be advisable to make it more secure without cluttering it up?

I am used to Norton Internet Security - plus CCleaner - but I'm trying to economise as long as it's safe to do so. I'll use the laptop for letters (currently LibreOffice), surfing and e-mails.

All suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

rdave13 18:15 13 Jul 2013

Here's a list of PCA's top free AV's, click here. I use Avast free, Malwarebytes antimalware pro (one off payment), Superantispyware free and the free version of Spywareblaster, which is a blocking program of 'bad' sites. The free programs have to be updated manually except for the AV's.

iscanut 20:43 13 Jul 2013

Why not try Microsoft's own.. click here

iscanut 20:46 13 Jul 2013

Sorry should have seen that you are going to have Win 8, sorry !! I would suggest you take rdave13's advice,

steviekm 02:41 14 Jul 2013

i've tended to use extended trial versions of the big players such as norton, eset, kaspersky (just had a free 6 month trial of kaspersky pure 3.0 which is really excellent) by doing this you are allways up to date with the latest versions which I feel is a good thing. The latest gdata 2014 suites are available with extended trial periods although the general concensus is that they are not quite as good as previous versions. If you fancy the latest full version of AVG Internet Security 2013 for 1 year totally free go to : click here . All it takes is a little research to stay ahead of the game

Hope this helps and good hunting.

Markito 16:03 14 Jul 2013

Many thanks to all of you. I have plenty of food for thought there, without plenty of expense.

Just a quickie; will it worth keeping the pre-installed Defender or would I be best rid of it?

rdave13 16:28 14 Jul 2013

You can't get 'rid' of defender but if you install one of the free antivirus' programs, they will automatically disable it.

Markito 17:34 14 Jul 2013

Thanks rdave13.

You've all been very helpful. I don't know what I'd do without these forums.

Best wishes to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone