BEST FREE FIREWALL?

5ean 10:29 21 Apr 2004

Hi, my mom is having trouble on her system using Zonealarm. I use that no problem. I know there are others out there which one would you guys say is the superior for a home user?

Many Thanks.

Ran a search but couldn't find the answer.

Sean

Diodorus Siculus 10:37 21 Apr 2004

Well, there is no real answer. All are much the same to my mind. I like sygate personal free version.

If you are going to uninstall ZA, be sure to follow the instructions on the ZoneLabs site.

Giant68 10:39 21 Apr 2004

I've used Kerio Personal Firewall for the last couple of years and have found it user friendly and very good.

Giant68

Diodorus Siculus 10:40 21 Apr 2004

click here for MicroMart's reviews / tests.

Diodorus Siculus 10:40 21 Apr 2004

click here for MicroMart's reviews / tests.

Diodorus Siculus 10:41 21 Apr 2004

click here for the free firewalls tests.

Totally-braindead 10:51 21 Apr 2004

Diodorus Siculus
Computer shopper did this as well in their latest issue, only problem is they don't mention the free ones, why do you think that is? Could it be something to do with their revenue coming from adverts? Is this a conspiracy or is it me losing control and seeing things that aren't there? Who knows and who cares. I personally use the Sygate one but used the Zonealarm one some time ago, just switched because at the time the thought was Sygate was better, in truth I've no idea if it is or not, I can only report that I've used both with no problems. If your Mum is having trouble with Zonealarm then switch but follow Diodorus Siculus's advice and uninstall properly.

spuds 12:45 21 Apr 2004

Some downloads here click here

I have used ZoneAlarm [freebie version] for a number of years now. Never let me down yet [fingers crossed].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?