Best firewall?

Pier1 14:58 28 Feb 2003

Hi, this has probably been asked several times, but as you know it's been really difficult to search for threads recently on PCA...

Experienced guys - what do you think is the best FREE firewall?

I need to get some opinions because Tiny is apparently not very stable and ZoneAlarm has issues with my home network.

Legolas 15:04 28 Feb 2003

I run Zonealarm on my home network but it needs to be set up take a look at this thread click here

deepblueuk 15:10 28 Feb 2003

sygate

MartinT-B 15:19 28 Feb 2003

I have tried ZA, Sygate and Tiny in the past 18 months or so.

My Preference is ZoneAlarm

crocodile36 15:23 28 Feb 2003

Using two different computers, onw ith a DSL connection and the other with a dial-up modem, Zone Alarm slowed the speed of the connections. Using it with ADSL, the speed appeared to be similar to a 56K dial-up. Removing Zone Alarm cured the problem, but I had to reformat the hard drive to get rid of it.

JoeC 15:27 28 Feb 2003
  suburban train 16:15 28 Feb 2003

i use sygate personal firewall, ive had a go with zonealarm its good but personally i think sygate is the one to go for

SOFTWARE SID 16:41 28 Feb 2003

You mention that you're into home networking which complicates things a little I guess.

On my bog-standard stand alone, I'm currently using Zone Alarm Free - also tried Agnitum Outpost with good results too.

Both of the above I would rate higher than Norton PF (certainly the 2001 version at least..)

961 16:55 28 Feb 2003

I tried Sygate recently when I had trouble with a new update of Zone Alarm. However, Steve Gibson seemed to find chinks in some ports and eventually Zone Alarm brought out another update and I gave it another go. No problems now and no chinks either. Use Mailwasher and AVG as well and they are all going fine

jazzypop 17:05 28 Feb 2003

Definitely Sygate - ZoneAlarm is still way too 'buggy' for me.

See click here for a good comparison.

dth 17:15 28 Feb 2003

I was always a big fan of Zone Alarm but moved to Outpost when I bought Windows XP. As it took a long while to shut down the P/C when Zone Alarm was running. I then tried Sygate - again another good firewall but a long time in shutting down.

Give Outpost a try - it is a good firewall, not very heavy on system resources and has a few nice little extras like add blocking etc..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?