Best and easiest way to connect 2 computers

ole1999 17:10 05 Jun 2007

Hi everyone

Sorry if this has been posted numerous times before, but i wasn't sure how to word it in search.

I will be bringing home a friends p.c at the weekend, just the tower and would like to be able to get online the simplest way, he is having a few problems, i don't think he has actually ever ran a virus scan or adware software etc.

I want to be able to get online without messing up his account settings etc,so that when he connects it back up again he is ready to go without any problems, do i just install my own service provider software on his p.c and get online that way or share my connection, the best way possible please.

Any help much appreciated, thanks guys

Jackcoms 17:29 05 Jun 2007

"do i just install my own service provider software on his p.c and get online that way"

That's probably the simplest way - you then log in from his PC using your ISP settings.

I wouldn't think it a good idea to connect his PC to yours in case his does have some nasties just waiting to transfer themselves to your PC!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 05 Jun 2007

"i don't think he has actually ever ran a virus scan or adware software etc."

Remove HDD and fit in external caddy connect to your PC and scan his drive with your upto date AV and antispyware.

Or download Av setup filesand updates to a pen drive and then swap overto his PC and install and run

Joe R 17:46 05 Jun 2007

ole1999,

a cat crossover cable to connect two computers will only cost a couple of pounds, and only takes minutes to set up.

You would probably be better connecting your friends system alone first though, and clearing all the accumulated "junk" before networking them.

ole1999 07:42 10 Jun 2007

Sorry for the late response guys, thank you for your help.

I have actually managed to do most of what i need without having to connect up the two computers.

I would like to just get online to do a few updates etc, for some reason i can't install my own isp software onto his.

I am trying to make a new connection by the 'new connection wizard', but once i get past 'set up my connection manually' the top 2 options are not highlighted, i only want to connect up using dial up but it doesn't let me select it on his computer for some reason so i cant even get online using dial up.

Thank you in advance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?