Best Combination of security software

hawthorn59 16:00 26 Dec 2006

Hi all and happy Christmas

Ihave my new laptop for a few months now and it came with a 3 month version of Norton Internet Security. Its working fine (at least i think so!) but now I have just 4 days left so I have to decide whether to renew it or go for some free software. This is where you can help, hopefully! First up, should I keep (and pay) for it? Does it slow down a pc (I have 2G Ram) and is it effective?

Presuming you will probably tell me to go for individual programmes (!), heres where I need help. What is the best COMBINATION of programmes, ie that work well together?

Or indeed is there anywhere on this site that gives a recommended list? Anyay I was thinking of the following:

Anti-Virus software: Based on various comments and reviews i was thinking of NOD 32.

I also have used Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy in the past, so was considering them again.

What Spyware? Ive seen Spyware Blaster and SpywareGuard mentioned a lot.

What about a firewall? Again Ive seen good comments about Kerio.

Finally I have a magazine DVD with a lot of programmes on it,

Adaware, Bazooka, HijackThis, InstallSpy, MailWasher, Pest Patrol, Spybot S&D, and the 2 spyware programmes I mentioned, WinPatrol, Winpooch Watchdog, Xpy, XP-Antospy, Startup List and more.

I presume its madness to install too many, can they conflict with each other? Thanks in anticipation!

h
User is online!Profile CardPM

Go to the top of the page
Edit Post

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:08 26 Dec 2006

All you need is one AV such as AVG or Avast..there is no need for a home user to pay. One antispy such as AVG antispy which is free and one other antispy in reserve such as Spybot. There is no need to go OTT as your common sense will be needed more than any programmes. I haven't used a firewall for 4 years because if you do not use your common sense no AV or firewall will protect you but Kerio seems to be a good one.

G

postie24 16:14 26 Dec 2006
  Ivor_Monkey 16:18 26 Dec 2006

But which is the best free anti virus software to use after 15 jan when AVG ceases its free software?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 26 Dec 2006

Anti virus
Avast4 click here or
AVG antivirus click here

Anti Spyware :-
Windows Defender click here as realtime scanner
Spywareblaster click here as a blocker
Adaware click here backup scanner (weekly)

Firewall
ZoneAlarm click here

Belatucadrus 16:25 26 Dec 2006

Persistent myth due to badly worded AVG announcement, Support for old free version stops 15 Jan, New version 7.5 freebie remains up and running. click here If you haven't updated, do so.

bretsky 17:21 26 Dec 2006

This is the combination I have click here

bretsky ;0)

rdave13 17:43 26 Dec 2006

Freebies I use:
Comodo firewall.
Avast!4 home.
Windows defender.
Manually scan with:

A squared
Spybot
Lavasoft's Ad-aware
AVG-antispyware.
Superantispyware.

Ccleaner for removing temp files and reg cleaner etc.
Registry mechanic 5 free version.
Browsers:
IE7 with anti physhing
Opera with anti-physhing. Don't like Firefox.

VoG II 17:46 26 Dec 2006

Ad-aware click here
Spybot click here
Superantispyware click here
Spywareblaster click here
AVG Antispyware click here
Windows Defender click here
AVG Antivirus click here
ZoneAlarm click here
A-squared click here

GEEKSTA 18:29 26 Dec 2006

i use :

spyware doctor
AVG free
Zonealarm pro

and work out quite well.

hawthorn59 01:52 28 Dec 2006

OK I am thinking of the following;

NOD 32
Adaware
Spybot Search and Destroy

Windows Defender or Spywareblaster or both

If I get a firewall either Zone Alarm or Kerio

I notice no-one said to keep Norton Internet Security...!

Ive already installed Spybot and ran a scan, but I havent a clue what to do then. Is it safe to fix everything? Some of the files were mentioning Firefox (which I use).Something like "tracking cookie, Firefox default" What would that mean? Surely not firefox causing it?

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone