BEST AVI FILE CONVERTER

PC_HelpMe 21:47 22 Jul 2008

Hi,

I would like to convert some avi files that I have onto dvd - but don't know what the best software is to use. Any suggestions from you kind people?

Thank you.

MCE2K5 22:54 22 Jul 2008

SUPER, Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer click here is what I use & it's Free.

PC_HelpMe 09:03 23 Jul 2008

Thanks MCE2K5 - I have downloaded this now to try - it looks rather complicated though.

ICF 19:10 23 Jul 2008

This program is excellent click here

PC_HelpMe 08:38 24 Jul 2008

I have now tried what MCE2KS suggested. Unfortunately, it makes my computer freeze half way through (when it initially loads up it says that I don't have sufficient memory for it to work - it says something about needing "20gb" but "can only find 4").

Are there any others out there recommended?

Wak 11:09 24 Jul 2008

I use "MediaCoder" to convert AVI into MPEG1 files.
Then either "CombiMovie" or "MediaJoin" to join the MPEG files together and then "SoThink Movie DVD Maker" to convert to a DVD.
All FREE and all can be googled for.
Try them.

"VLC Media player" and "VirtualDub" are also good FREE program to have.

PC_HelpMe 10:02 25 Jul 2008

Thanks all for your responses.

I really don't know what i'm doing! I have now managed to convert an AVI into an MPEG but am totally confused now and feel like I am back to square one - as I still don't seem to have any software that will put the MPEG file onto a dvd disk.

Wak 11:09 25 Jul 2008

Put the MPEG files into the "Sothink Movie DVD maker" and it will convert the MPEG into the proper DVD files and write the disc.

MAJ 19:18 25 Jul 2008

Or use the excellent and free DVDFlick, click here, use the "Previous Version". Or if you use Nero to burn your DVDs, Nero Vision Express will do it all for you.

FatboySlim71 21:51 25 Jul 2008

I have used this numerous times and I find it superb.

click here

PC_HelpMe 22:56 25 Jul 2008

Brilliant - you are all great - I have tried Sothink Movie DVD maker and also DVDFlick - success with both.

Thank you all. You have made me a bit more the wiser.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie