best antivirus / firewall

saddler-1962 20:23 04 Feb 2009

currently running nortons 360 but this is due to expire in 5 days. Any recomendations as to a replacement. Dont mind paying but hell, not the 380 nortons want to continue for another 12 mths. Any one used kaspersky, or mcafee?

any thoughts

birdface 20:38 04 Feb 2009

Nod32 is supposed to be the best.But once again shop around and see if you can get it cheaper.
click here

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 20:43 04 Feb 2009

Hi,

It completely depends on what you want it for. Some people will swear by Norton and some will swear because of Norton! The problem with Norton is that it will completely sap you of your computers performance.

McAfee follows the Norton trend, it slows the system down but there are many people who are happy with it.

I would completely recommend Bullguard internet security for anyone who wants an easy to use software which wont sap the performance. Their help and support is very good too.

Not sure of Kaspersky, but I frequently use the online scan function to check suspicious files that I have downloaded - it works very well for me.

I have a suggestion for you though, download a free trial of all of them (Not at the same time!) and see for yourself which one you find easiest to use.

fullyfitted 23:12 04 Feb 2009

BIG Ben strikes 10 again!
Hi,
never mind the the thread , nice to hear from you again,

ff

rdave13 23:29 04 Feb 2009

Running PC Tools Firewall Plus; click here

Avast home antivirus; click here

Malwarebytes' antimalware; click here
Superantispyware; click here

Spywareblaster; click here

Spybot s&d.; click here

Free versions of all except Superantispyware where I paid a one off fee.

User-1229748 23:31 04 Feb 2009

the norton internet security 2009 is apparently lighter on resources as was reviewed by this very site click here

brundle 00:46 05 Feb 2009

Norton is much less resource hungry these days, previously I wouldn't have recommended any Norton product. You are most probably eligible for 360 v2. click here

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 09:14 05 Feb 2009

fullyfitted - Hi, I try to pop in every now and again! I see things have changed quite a bit too! There seems to be more Forum categories than posts! Say, is Peter still the FE around here?

Norton? ‘Lighter on resources?’ That would be like an American car that does 30MPG+ and can turn corners! I'll have to read in to it, but thanks for the links.

Andsome 09:46 05 Feb 2009

The big problem will be getting rid of Norton short of a complete reinstall of Windows. Visit their website and use their removal tools. Then Start/search and enter Norton, and delete any files found. Do the same thing entering Symantec. After all that run C Cleaner including its registry option, Even then this invasive software will leave traces in the registry. Best of luck. I also recommend Nod 32 security suite.

DieSse 10:41 05 Feb 2009

Best non-free suite - Eset Security Suite (with NOD32 AV).

Best free suite - Comodo Security Suite

Best free AV - Avast

Best free firewall- Sunbelt (ex-Kerio)

Muergo 14:47 05 Feb 2009

I agree with DieSsee, Comodo came out streets ahead of the rest in laboratory tests see Windows Secrets, butI tried it three times because it can be difficult, BUT their latest free version is much more creature friendly with a help forum, it checks ingoing and outgoing and rated 100% against norton at 10%!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?