benq scanner and windows XP

palinka 13:05 04 Sep 2007

Benq scanner SZW 3300U . Was installed on Win ME and ran OK for 5 years using installation disk provided.
Now trying to install on Win ME with same disk.
Problems getting it to recognise that the scanner exists, and then message that to proceed further may cause damage to my system, etc, etc. Anyone out there with this experience? Is it simply that it needs new drivers?

palinka 13:30 04 Sep 2007

tried new driver (mirror, via Benq website) but get same warning - "not passed the [microsoft?] test.....driver nor digitally signed or not signed in appropriate manner....".
Should I go ahead and install it anyway? or do I have to buy new scanner? (hope not)

PO79 14:08 04 Sep 2007

You can safely ignore the warning about drivers not digitally signed. It cost's money for companies to submit a driver to MS WHQL for certification, and some choose not to do it as they have confidence in their own software.

palinka 14:20 04 Sep 2007

Thanks for that PO79, bt I'm still a bit uncertain - discovered that 2 program icons had disappeared from taskbar after trying to install the scanner; may be coincidence, but........

palinka 17:02 12 Sep 2007

Finally found a moment to deal with it. Created a restore point just in case, then installed the scanner using the original disk. All seems OK .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone