Bench Test For MOBO Post

Ex plorer 19:06 10 Nov 2006

Hi I have just finished putting together a
Advent 3101\it has a GA 71XE4 MOBO and the processor is 750AMD.
I cased it up but it wont post the on off switch will switch it on but not off.
All fans run and the power light is on the CD and HD flash but not the floppy I have tried changing the floppy drive but it’s the same result.
I have now taken every thing out of the PC and put the MOBO on my wooden workbench.
I have never tried to test a MOBO on its own is it just a matter of plugging in the power to the PSU and then to the MOBO and switch on to see if it will post.

Ex

woodchip 19:14 10 Nov 2006

To test out of the case, Plug on stick of memory in. and Graphics card You also nee the CPU and Fan. Then plug in the ATX plug the one with all the cables put a Mouse and Keyboard in the sockets, Next if you look at the Mobo bottom right where all the front connectors fit look for Power pins just the two not reset etc. After plugging the Monitor in, As I forgot that bit, short the two power pins do not hold then screwdriver on as it will just shut it back down, just touch both togther it should go to a DOS Screen. If it does not then you Have a Hardware Problem

Ex plorer 10:55 11 Nov 2006

hi do I need to hook up the Hard Drive

Ex plorer 11:29 11 Nov 2006

ok its booted into DOS after changing the graphics card, it was a 32mb as it should be to keep it to original spec.
the one I have used is only 16mb is it ok to continue using it for now.
I want to keep it original at later date as this is my hobby.

woodchip 12:47 11 Nov 2006

No do notconnect the Hard Driveto test it. To switch off just pull the plug, as there is no hard drive connected. To your last Post YES

Ex plorer 14:11 11 Nov 2006

So far so good it now posts, but when I put in the Win ME floppy in or Win 98 I get the following mesage.
An internal stack overflow has caused this session to be halted.
Change the stacks settings in your CONFIG.SYS file and then try agin.
I want to remove MS DOS 6 on this drive before installing ME.

Ex plorer 15:00 11 Nov 2006

Found problem two bad sticks of ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?